Washdown motor

kvogel

Have an usual application where I need a 24VDC sub-fractional gearmotor in a wash-down or corrosion resistant finish but can't seem to come up with any options.

Current motor is a 1/8hp 215.6:1 reduction 8.3 rpm https://www.bisongear.com/011-348-5200.html

In a perfect world the physical envelope would be a match but I'd be game for any option that fits the environmental resistance criteria.

Ideas on where to look?

Thanks

Ken

since I don't know your application, may I suggest the following.

1. what is the wash down pressure?
what chemical(s) are used? be specific, saying an acid won't cut it.
what is the temperature range?

2. contact a motor company and give them this information, see what they offer.

3. build a chemical resistant box around the motor if all else fails and put an air line to the box to help keep out the chemicals and fumes. i'm not saying this will work, trying to think outside the box.

james

James, Thanks

We've tried all of that, was hopefully looking to find a vendor that I missed that offers an epoxy paint / extra seal option. There is no pressure requirement as we don't actually washdown but washdown duty motors have worked well in other similar areas. Air purge isn't an option as it's a mobile device and cannot be attached by an umbilical and no extra power to drive an on-board blower.

Ken

If you can’t separate the windings from the shell, cure temperature might be too high for this. You could take apart the motor / gearbox and send the shell to an exhaust shop that does ceramic coating. We had some gearboxes coated by Jet-Hot. It held up fine to caustic washdowns. Use a sacrificial bearing or close off openings to prevent coating where bearings press in, or you might have to rebore before assembly.

For spray can paint, Steel-It is good but not ceramic level.

Having a coating done may be my only available option, thanks for the idea. I'm afraid that these rolled steel shell motors are so open that I'll still have issues with corrosion but it might at least slow down motor replacements

Ken