Small brewery PLC/HMI ideas

That Factory talk system is similar to the Braukon Siemens IPC system we have for our 80 bbl, It's basically a Siemens based Wonderware/SCADA system but solely for the brewery including the Mills and grain silos and CIP system. Our cellar system is a simple (ish) Siemens system incorporating all of our fermentators and bright tanks and the pipe fences and pathways to and from.

Here's a capture from a Hot Liquor Tank level and temp program I'm writing for our old 10bbl system that had no automation other than some relays and Watlow PID controllers.

This is CCW with Micro 820 and a Panelview 800

I like the Red Lion HMI and free Crimson software. Easy setup and can communicate with almost any PLC or any device on Modbus/Bacnet/EIP/Etc. Has Webserver/alarming/email/etc. The CR3000 or Graphite series support all those features.

Yes they are a 'all in one' software, a lot of manufactures are leaning that way, I think its a good idea, that way most of the products are fully compatible and just drag and drop (or select) makes it easier for the communication setup also

I like the Red Lion HMI and free Crimson software. Easy setup and can communicate with almost any PLC or any device on Modbus/Bacnet/EIP/Etc. Has Webserver/alarming/email/etc. The CR3000 or Graphite series support all those features.

+1
In Crimson, there is a function called Smart Duplicate that you can use when setting up your tags or primitives.
It Rocks!

Nice tank, is that from a library? I assume you are using FTView ME for the design?

genius is correct--it's CCW. That tank came from the library. It is very limited and you can import your own images but there's no animation options, however that tank is dead nuts.

The software is kind of growing on me; the simulator is very nice; if you're using an 820 like I will be, you have to create the project with an 850 and either swap the module definition later of just use it alongside and swap code later.

Lots of great knowledge here, glad I asked. I find it strange that RA has a paper out for small breweries that uses their top dollar gear when this combo exists. Although I still cringe at PV prices. But in my experience they have proven pretty tough.

All manufacturers of PLC's have good points, however AB & Siemens seem to be a bit expensive especially the programming software. so the choice is yours, just think about local suppliers and stocks (I'm sure you will not want to keep all cards in stores due to costs). RS components are a good source for some spares on small PLC's and they usually carry reasonable stocks and available next day. One thing you might like to look at on the Scada side is Movicon, You can get trial software that is fully functional for 2 hours at a time. contains many I/O drivers as standard (no extra cost) is easy to use and is priced on I/O count which is upgradable by stages. It has fantastic and easy to use functions, scripts, events, database logging, alarms, large array of usable symbols, graphs etc. If you need to keep costs down use SQL Server Express, however you are limited to 4gb, but ask your IT Dept. they may have SQL licences already.

All manufacturers of PLC's have good points, however AB & Siemens seem to be a bit expensive especially the programming software. so the choice is yours, just think about local suppliers and stocks (I'm sure you will not want to keep all cards in stores due to costs). RS components are a good source for some spares on small PLC's and they usually carry reasonable stocks and available next day. One thing you might like to look at on the Scada side is Movicon, You can get trial software that is fully functional for 2 hours at a time. contains many I/O drivers as standard (no extra cost) is easy to use and is priced on I/O count which is upgradable by stages. It has fantastic and easy to use functions, scripts, events, database logging, alarms, large array of usable symbols, graphs etc. If you need to keep costs down use SQL Server Express, however you are limited to 4gb, but ask your IT Dept. they may have SQL licences already.

It's 10G now.

Speaking about 2 hour at at time, Ignition has the same restriction. But for such important beer process, what happen if you are not there to reset? your batch of beer may become something either very terrible or very good.

Last edited: