Another Version 21.03 Thread

PLC Pie Guy

Hey Folks.
I had a thread a while back where we talked about the versioning issues that can arise with Studio5K.

It has been determined that I must upgrade the firmware on a 1756-L71. It is currently at 21.03. I do not have this version.

=====One odd mention... I notice that in Linx, the device properties suggest that the processor in question is 21.011, where in the software, it opens and says its V21.03. If I open the .ACD in notepad, it says file creation in V21.03. So confusing! ========

So, I opened the RSL5K Studio software as an administrator.

Then I open the file in question.

I'm prompted that I do not have the necessary software to open this file. It asks if I want to install the proper version or change the processor in the project.

I select change processor so I can select the firmware that I wish to flash to.

I see there are options 23.00 through to 31.00......

Now, my question(s) are, which version should I flash to? Is there any particular one that could cause me issues further? This machine is not one that I built, therefore I am leery about this. It has lots of kinetic drives and some powerflex stuff. As well as a couple remote AENTR racks. The one that worries me is the servo drives and the managed ethernet switches. I haven't dealt much with either. Is there anything that the firmware upgrade could do to not cooperate with these devices any more??

This must be a quick and painless process. I only have a small window in production to do this. It is necessary to make further improvements to the machine and Iv put it off as long as I can.
What could be some potential gotchas that I should look out for before hand?

Thanks

Do you need to flash the version?
We have a couple controllers in that version so I uninstalled any version that isn't 21.03 (21.0, etc.) and kept the 21.03 and I have no issues working with the controller.

It needs to go.
I have close to 70 controllers running. This is the odd ball! I don't want that software on my computer either.

I believe as long as you have 20.04 or 20.05 running on your computer, you can work with any controller that's 20.x controller. I am quite sure of that.

There's a lot of discussion on this in the past.

I believe as long as you have 20.04 or 20.05 running on your computer, you can work with any controller that's 20.x controller. I am quite sure of that.

There is a lot of discussion on it. Iv been sifting through it.
There are lots of horror stories to. I just don't want to end up in one.

Trying to get prepared as much as I can.

Yes, but this controller is running version 21, not version 20. Rockwell never released a v21.04 to mitigate the clusterf...the "incompatibility" experienced on v21 like they did with v20.

What they did do was to rush out version 23, which was basically just version 21 without the minor compatibility issue. So, if I were you, I'd flash to v23 as it's basically identical to v21 and least likely to give you any problems.

Side note: this is also why v22 doesn't exist - v22 was already under development, so when they rushed out their "fix" they had to call it v23 and then what was going to be v22 came out as v24. Make sense? Good.

edit: if you only have a small production window to get this working, check the version of firmware currently on the PLC and make sure you have the firmware kit of that exact version ready to flash it backward if the worst happens. And (obviously) make 100% sure that you have backups of programs before you flash in any direction!

Yes, but this controller is running version 21, not version 20. Rockwell never released a v21.04 to mitigate the clusterf...the "incompatibility" experienced on v21 like they did with v20.

What they did do was to rush out version 23, which was basically just version 21 without the minor compatibility issue. So, if I were you, I'd flash to v23 as it's basically identical to v21 and least likely to give you any problems.

Side note: this is also why v22 doesn't exist - v22 was already under development, so when they rushed out their "fix" they had to call it v23 and then what was going to be v22 came out as v24. Make sense? Good.

edit: if you only have a small production window to get this working, check the version of firmware currently on the PLC and make sure you have the firmware kit of that exact version ready to flash it backward if the worst happens. And (obviously) make 100% sure that you have backups of programs before you flash in any direction!

Thanks for the advice.
I do have all the backups. I hadn't thought about the possibility of going backwards so that is a good one to keep in mind.
Also, you suggest going to V23. I wasn't sure seeing as I have the option to go from 23 to 31. You think 23 would give me the least problems.

Iv done many upgrades without issue, just not usually on a Control Logix processor and hardly ever on servo run equipment. The rest of my stuff is a mix of Compact Logix and Micros. Just a bit outside of my comfort area with this machine.

Thank you!

It needs to go.
I have close to 70 controllers running. This is the odd ball! I don't want that software on my computer either.

if you have 70 controllers running....surely you must have a spare L71 CPU ?

if so flash the spare L71 CPU to V23 or what ever you are comfortable with, load your project and test in that production down Window.....if it all goes horribly wrong you just insert your original cpu back in.

I wish I did have a spare...
That spare is on a long long, list of recommended spares through our "Rockwell Support Contract". A contract I might add that due to our higher up people foot dragging, has not been invoked and my spares list sits unfilled. I have a few spare compact adn Micro processors as I use the same ones over and over..... But no spare CLX processors in my facility. I only have 4 machines that even run them, all different part numbers of course.

Its a bad situation, I know, but we went to all the work to set up an in house parts inventory with Rockwell only to have the big guys not sign it, only because, hmmm, not sure, just need to review it again, then has questions, then needs to review it again, then wants to make changes, then has more questions, then forgets about it for a few months, then we ask for an extension, then he has changes.... you see the pattern.... its been going on for years. Literally!!! While I continue buying as I need. Luckily for the company, Rockwell gear rarely fails leaving us stranded. It does happen occasionally, costing us thousands, but its rare.

I guess until the day where we have "The Big One" where a critical machine is out of service for a failed processor or drive, its going to be this way. It used to bug me but now I learned to live with it. Its not my money on the line.

Your suggestion of flashing a spare first would be my first choice!

Last edited:
I would buy a used L71 on ebay or somewhere to use as the spare/swap processor. Then when done, sell it back.

May not be so easy depending on your company's accounting. If you have a good relationship with your Rockwell distributor, you may be able to borrow one just for this purpose?

Another suggestion is to make friends with other plants in the area (if there are any). That can be very beneficial for access to spare parts in an emergency.

Yeah, I'm going to push for a spare processor. I know the bean counters want the agreement before I buy to many but, that one makes me scared to have to fudge it.

So, since I don't have V21, Hypothetically speaking, If I did have a spare controller, and the machine for some reason did have problems with the new V24 program. I could still flash it with V21 and download a v21 program Im thinking, surely. I just can't go online with it. Would this be a true statement?

Thank you.

No. If you don't have the correct version of software, you will not have the ability to open the PLC program to be able to download it into the PLC. There are several ways you could try to approach this problem, but all of the ones I can think of require you to be able to open the current PLC program.

That said, if I read your first post correctly, you have v21.00 or v21.01, just not v21.03. You should be able to upgrade that to v21.03 for free, which will enable you to open the program - if you're still covered by an active support contract, you should be able to download it for free from the RA website. If not, have a friendly chat to your local distributor and see what they can do for you.

No. If you don't have the correct version of software, you will not have the ability to open the PLC program to be able to download it into the PLC. There are several ways you could try to approach this problem, but all of the ones I can think of require you to be able to open the current PLC program.

That said, if I read your first post correctly, you have v21.00 or v21.01, just not v21.03. You should be able to upgrade that to v21.03 for free, which will enable you to open the program - if you're still covered by an active support contract, you should be able to download it for free from the RA website. If not, have a friendly chat to your local distributor and see what they can do for you.

Thanks for the reply.
I have requested for purchase of a new processor. Not cheap!!!!!
I have successfully changed my projects version to 24 and once the new unit arrives I will download. Then after the machine has proven that all is well with v24 , Ill flash the old L71 to V24 and put my program on as a back up.

Thanks folks for the advice. I fell better about this going the safe route with a second processor. May cost a bit but I won't get caught with my pants down!

New Processor on the way.
I realized that I had 2 other machines here using this same processor, so it wasn't to hard to justify.

Sweet!