Rockwell Data Type Conversion

Saul#75

I have found a BOOL array [64] and I would like to convert it to a DINT array [2] and I'm struggling. I've tried MVM, FFL, CPT, COP, MOV to no avail as I keep getting data type mismatch.
It's in a 1756-L72 running RSLogix 5000 v20
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Saul,

To be able to copy/convert a BOOL[64] array in RsLogix to DINT[2], you need to make an UDT that contains the array (I.E. one member that is of type BOOL[64]. From there you would create a tag of said UDT type. You could then copy this tag to a DINT[2] tag and set the length of 2 in the COP/CPS instruction.

I hope this helps.

-Nathan

Saul,

To be able to copy/convert a BOOL[64] array in RsLogix to DINT[2], you need to make an UDT that contains the array (I.E. one member that is of type BOOL[64]. From there you would create a tag of said UDT type. You could then copy this tag to a DINT[2] tag and set the length of 2 in the COP/CPS instruction.

I hope this helps.

-Nathan

Like your solution....
But I like more simple... redefine the Bool[64] into a dint[2] and manipulate bits as dint[x].y
it may save copy or data handling...

I tend to agree with JGax, steer clear of naked BOOL arrays whenever you can, there is really not a lot you can do with them.

If you must have a BOOL array, then making it a member of a UDT (as already suggested) opens up so many possibilities, including the ability to COP, CPS, FLL etc. Whenever I do this, I make the BOOL array member name something like "number", or "index", so if my UDT tag is called MyBitMap, I would address a single BOOL as MyBitMap.number[274] or MyBitMap.index[274]

When I saw the BOOL array my heart sank. I couldn't understand why you would do this instead of a DINT array.
I didn't want to risk changing the BOOL into a DINT array incase it also required changes to SCADA and other external applcations so the UDT has worked really well with the minimum of disruption. :D