No of Backup Supervisors possible in a Single RING Network ( Rockwell System )

rahul.p

Hello,

In a Ring Network , we can configure device as Active Ring Supervisor and Backup Ring supervisors. In a single Ring network we can have only one Active Supervisor . But i would like to know what is the maximum number of possible backup Supervisor we can configure in a ring network.

Any help is Appreciated!!!

Thank in Advance

According to Rockwell and ODVA documentation, you have to configure at least one backup node (and they don't mention an explicit limit).

From Rockwell Automation Publication ENET-AT007B-EN-P:

While a backup supervisor is not required on a DLR network, we recommend
that you configure at least one backup ring supervisor for your ring network.
During normal operation, a backup supervisor operates as a ring participant. If
the active supervisor node operation is interrupted, the backup supervisor with
the next numerically highest precedence value becomes the active supervisor.

There is no requirement to have a Backup Supervisor. And there is not limit on how many supervisors are defined. Device with highest priority will become the Active supervisor.
If priorities are the same then MAC address will determine the active supervisor.