OT: Lights headlamps and hats

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
So I guess it just part of getting older, but I am needing more and more lighting and working in cabinets... forget it, I have to use a flashlight. I know they are making better and better LEDs and headlamps all the time, I have some but anyone have one they just love?

Just bought one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/352638682824 I will let you know how it works when I get it

Anyone use the hat clips? I have tripod LEDs but they are a pain if you only need them for a few minutes and they are a little overkill

I have what appears to be the handheld version of that light. Killer range on spotlight. Great overall. Only issue is sites requiring intrinsic safety.

I have been using lamps more and more myself. I end up in too many dark places it seems. I have been using just a head lamp that you can find at the hardware store, however the nylon strap doesn't hold well to a hard hat, it slips up and off. I've cabled tied it down.

I will probably swap it out to a lamp that has rubber straps instead for my next commissioning trip.

I just use an energizer brand headlamp. I have a habit of losing them sometimes, so I don't want to spend more than $20 bucks on one, though the Milwaukee rechargeable ones look really sweet. My old boss has a handheld flashlight with one beast of a magnet and you can pop it open to get a lengthwise diffuser when making up panels.

I have a Rayovac-brand "Virtually Indestructible Headlamp". Both of the battery hatch latches have been missing or split for a couple of years, yet the dang thing still clicks and holds together and adjusts firmly to focus on my work.

I have a large bag of "flashlights I could probably fix", which even includes several expensive Pelican diver's flashlights. But the Rayovac unit just keeps going.

I just checked your link and bought one myself.(cheep) seems more often than not I'm standing in
my own shadow. Normally I wouldn't want one on my head but we are required to where a bump cap now so I'll just add it to that.

This is what I carry in my small, go everywhere with me, tool pouch. Good amount of light in a small package, plus I can clip it to the brim of my hard hat when I need both hands free. The downside is that the angle of the beam is not adjustable, so sometimes I have to do some odd yoga poses to get the light and the bifocals pointed in the same direction.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/microstream

Bubba.

Last edited:
I have this one : https://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/multi-flashlights/armytek-wizard-pro-magnet-usb-18650/

It's a bit tacticool I guess but it works really well. Battery life on the modes you are liable to use is counted in days (the highest mode drains the battery in like an hour but it's 100% overkill), magnetic tailcap, USB rechargeable and swappable battery, it's solid metal almost all over. Left it over weeks in my backpack in my car at -20C, battery and lamp were fine. Dropped it a few times, there isn't even a scratch. Get the warm version, better colour discrimination and just more pleasing on the eyes.