IO-Link

Greg Dake

Hello!

As a company we are slowly making a transition to IO-Link for our process equipment which will include analog sensors, valves, and discrete sensors.

While many of us here see the advantage to IO-Link, can someone shed some light on any drawbacks they have experienced using IO-Link?

TIA,

Greg

Initial configuration of IOLink devices can be complex, but the ability for automatic configuration download of replacement devices is worth it.

Retrofitting IOLink devices with controllers that aren't "IOLink ready" (i.e no native IOLink master) can be kludgy. It can be done, with say, a ML1400 using separate hardware but it just isn't worth the pain and effort and expense. Many (most?) IOLink sensors also have the ability to output discrete or analog signals so it's a good idea to start replacing old sensors with IOLink compatible ones for future proofing

Only one 'gotcha' that's caught me, for AB IO-link 1734-4IOL, it must be used with a 1734-AENT(R) Ser.B FW >5 (Or ser. C). You can't add them directly to the likes of a 1769-L16. I used it for controlling drives not discrete IO so it's pretty neat it can do both.