Sensor for non polorized reflector

Gadelric

Team,

I have a project to improve our part detection.
We are currently detecting that a reflector is installed by verifying the locking tab on the back side is filling the hole in the part. This has proven to be less that effective, and still doesn't verify the reflector is actually there. We had some parts go through that were missing the actual reflector, but the body housing for the reflector was there.

I would like to use a simple reflective sensor, but the only ones i can seem to find require a polarized reflector and these reflectors are not polarized.

I've been able to get a vision system to work, it cant see the reflector itself as the light reflection blows out the image. The best I can do is to verify the vision system does not see the black of the part or the black of the reflectors housing base.

Vision systems require updating and pulling camera cables through the station. A simple 4 wire sensor would give me the freedom to set and forget.
A simple sensor would make it so I do not have to be woke up when the maintenance staff works on it at 3 am.

Any ideas come to mind?

Great advice team.
I think i might have an old machine that has a QS18 on it.
I do have keyence coming in next week to show me some items, if i cant find this QS18, i will have them bring their sensors for me to test.

Once again, you all saved the day, thank you.