Future of the AB MicroLogix and RS Logix 500 ?

Rob S.

Good Evening ,

What is the future of MicroLogix PLC's and RS Logix 500 software ? I know
the SLC 500 is quickly being phased out . I would like to stick with one software package , such has RS Logix 5000.

Thanks so much in advance ,

Pure speculation, but I would say that they will go away and be replaced with the Micro800.

If you’re concerned about sticking to one software package, then going with the Studio (5000) would better suit you. With that one software, you can program Contrologix, Compactlogix, Micro800, Panelview 5000, and the Component Panelviews.

Unless something has changed very recently you need CCW to program the Micro800 series and the "cheaper" panelview 800's and component PV's.

Not Studio 5000, it can only do ControlLogix, GuardLogix, CompactLogix and the PV5000 series.

Alan

Are we doing this again, where somebody posts about something they claim a distributor told them ?

Yes, the SLC-500 is a mature product that will be phased out slowly. I would not use one for any new project. But I just did a partial upgrade on a machine built 12 years ago with SLC-5/05 and all my tools and software work fine.

The MicroLogix family is down to the MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 controllers, and they have no sunset date in sight. I wouldn't think twice about using one today on a project that needed a ten-year availability guarantee.

Micro 800 are definitely meant to replace the MicroLogix 1000/1200. I don't like them, but I got burned using the v1 software and might try them again.

If I could have just one Rockwell platform to work with, of course it would be the ControlLogix.

Bottom line, five years from now, all of the products that utilize RSLogix 500 for programming will be discontinued. The only active 500 controller in production is the Micrologix 1400. The 1100 is Active Mature, and the rest of the Micrologix and SLC line are discontinued. It will be used about as often as RSLogix 5, which I didn't even bother installing on my new laptop because in the 6 years I've been at my current job, I've only ever needed it once.

Studio 5000 will be for mid to high-end controllers and Connected Components Workbench will be for lower-end systems. If they ever figure out how to leverage the Panelview 5k line, I wouldn't be surprised if View ME and the Panelview Plus line go away as well. In the future, there will only be two software packages and they will cover the entirety of Rockwell's PLC and HMI lines. This excites me.

The MicroLogix 1100 is only listed as "Active Mature" instead of "Active" because it won't get any new features in the future, while the MicroLogix 1400 might.

I predict a sunset for the the MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 that's longer than 5 years. You probably won't be able to buy an SLC-5/04 in 2024, but you'll very likely be able to buy a MicroLogix.

Just last week I was working on a SLC505, so don't throw Logix 500 out just yet, there are a huge amount SLC's stil in operation (they are long lasting :) )

We know that the price of the older and phased out AB Automation is increasing , but do you think that the price of the support contract is increasing , for these components ?

Thanks ,

I just purchased a Micrologix-1400 and in the box was a sheet of paper suggesting that I should be switching to the Micro800 series controllers.

I have been getting those flyers with the 1100 and 1400 for about a year.
attachment.php

attachment.php

When you type in the URL:
rok.auto/fastforward1400 it takes you here:
https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...=fastforward1400&utm_campaign=IA_Global_XX_EN

But I am pretty sure that if the 1400 goes away, I will be going here:
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...x,_h2,_t1h)_plcs_(micro_modular_-a-_stackable)

20190606_195835.jpg 20190606_195856.jpg

Last edited:
The SLC5/03, 5/04 and 5/05 are all listed as active mature meaning "Product is fully supported, but a newer product or family exists. Gain value by migrating." So basically they aren't going away anytime soon. "Soon" is a relative term but AB will give them an "End of Life" status before discontinuing them at which point they will have a date that they will no longer be available.
https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...lity-migration/lifecycle-status/overview.page

I used to hate the Micro 800's however I've been using them now for a couple of years and I've seen a dramatic improvement in CCW and I'm finding them much easier to use.

The cost of a new micrlogix controller is cost prohibitive from any AB dealer at the moment.

If you are willing to buy from a non-rockwell dealer, you can often find controllers at nearly 1/2 price. They are trying hard to phase them out.

The trouble is, it is far and away their best and most reliable controller, whereas the 800 line is not.

Micro 800 has important drawbacks with Ethernet/IP communication: only scalar tags or members of arrays can be read and written, but you can not read members of structures (UDT), nor a whole structure, things that in RSLogix5000 is possible .

In addition the protocol only allows to read the tags one by one, and not with multiple read like in RSLogix5000.

All this makes communication with SCADA/HMI slower and limited.

Something to keep in mind if you think of Micro800 as an alternative.