Need to map ABB robot e-stops to DO for PLC

ScottAdams317

On all of our lines that have Fanuc robots, we have the cabinet e-stop and pendant e-stop mapped to seperate DOs for messages purposes. We also have a few lines that have ABB robots that do not do this.

Can anyone help me with this setup? I am no robot programmer by any means. Just trying to clarify alarm messages as well as I can for our maintenance crew. Our ABB "Guru" is out on long term disability, or I would ask him.

Thanks

Perfect. You're more than half way there.

This is probably possible with the teach pendant but I haven't personally tried it because I always had RobotStudio. Give me a lttle bit of time to track this down, I just came off a Fanuc project and I got to get familiar with ABB again.

Unfortunately I can not find the signals that differentiate the difference between a FlexPendant E-stop and a control panel e-stop; only that there is an e-stop. Your Guru may know how. But here is the gest of it.

Open RobotStudio, connect to your robot, and get write access.

Under the controller tab, select I/O system.

Create a new signal tag, we'll name it PLCtalk1 for example, and assign it to a unused ethernet/IP output.

Create a system output tag, eg PLCtalk2, and set its status to emergency stop.

Create a cross connection tag, eg PLCtalk3, set its resultant to PLCtalk1, and its Actor1 as PLCtalk2.

The robot will require to have its power cycled to make the new tags relevant.

Hope that helps. There is a RobotForum website that have a lot of programmer answer questions.

Right mouse button click on "System Output" and select NEW.

Create a tag <your tag name here> and select

I appreciate the help.

BTW, I am originally from the Detroit area. Came down to Bowling Green, KY to do an install and just never went back home. It's nice to not be on the road for a little bit.