Home Automation

BlindIce

I am looking at installing a PLC in my new home I am going to building in a year. I am somewhat familiar with Horner and like their product. I want to get one with a color touch screen for the main entrance and all my I/O modules and wiring in a cabinet in the basement. I also want to wire in smoke detectors, 3 video camera's out side. I will use all 24VDC (discrete) I/O modules and just use relays in the cabinet for all the AC wiring. I have wired in many DCS and PLC systems in the oilfield but never had to order parts for them. With horner I want the color OCS and all what I will need to complete this system. I/O module, power supplies, etc. All the switching in the house are momentary switches. Also where to get a smoke detector and camera's that will work in this system. A list of part numbers, rough estimated cost (I have all the WDU terminals and relays already) and or websites to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appretiated.

Many smokes have dry contacts for interfacing to HA systems. I know GE has them. As for cameras, I would forget that idea. Too much bandwidth and processing needed for passing video through a PLC. I'd go with a standalone DVR type system for surveillance.

To be honest, I've been in HA for 10+ years, and I think you might be heading down the wrong track. As an overall HA solution, PLCs aren't really a robust solution. They may be good as a partner to an HA system, perhaps controlling lighting, irrigation and maybe even heating/cooling, but I would opt for one of the systems specifically designed for HA (Crestron, AMX, CQC, etc.) instead of a PLC. Just my 2c.

proface, or whoever owns them now, had a line of panels that had a composite video input on them. of course they were expensive, but if that is really what you want.

BlindIce said:
I am looking at installing a PLC in my new home I am going to building in a year. I am somewhat familiar with Horner and like their product. I want to get one with a color touch screen for the main entrance and all my I/O modules and wiring in a cabinet in the basement. I also want to wire in smoke detectors, 3 video camera's out side. I will use all 24VDC (discrete) I/O modules and just use relays in the cabinet for all the AC wiring. I have wired in many DCS and PLC systems in the oilfield but never had to order parts for them. With horner I want the color OCS and all what I will need to complete this system. I/O module, power supplies, etc. All the switching in the house are momentary switches. Also where to get a smoke detector and camera's that will work in this system. A list of part numbers, rough estimated cost (I have all the WDU terminals and relays already) and or websites to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appretiated.
I think you are going the wrong way about it.
Companies out there spcialize in Home Controllers and here you'll find one of them.
http://www.jdstechnologies.com/#
I do have one in my place as well as the RS485 Thermostats, LCD keypads I/R controls and such.
PLC is ok but not sure if it will be up to the task.
Besides, price is matched by home controllers so personally I cannot see any advantages of using a PLC for the task.
You can use macros and such to program the Home Controllers something more down to earth for people who have no PLC knowledge, X10 switches that look like a regular dEcora you find at the hardware store, etc.
If you ever decide to sell your place who's going to support the hardware? As a potential buyer that will be a huge turn off for me.
Besides, if the Home Controller goes down for any reason, the light switches and T-Stats will still operate my place.
Just think about it for a moment before you pull the trigger.

Last edited:
thanks bkottaras appretiate your response. I am not looking for a high end home automation. I am very familiar with plc's and have worked with them for over 5 years now. I just want something to be a little different then every other house. I can get all the material I need through work and thought it would be neat to have lights in the house controlled by it. camera's that start to record when the door bell rings and lights go one. All the Lights in the house turn on when smoke detectors go off. have multi controlled pot lights in the television room with a 4 touch switch. this is stuff that I am familiar with and can program. I am just a journeymen oilfield electrician. I am trying to work with what I am familiar with and can do myself. nothing overly fancy.

COOL! Sorry, no help with part numbers and prices, but I like your idea. Projects like those are always fun and educational - I can sympathize with the "do it how you want" instead of the typical way for such projects. Good luck.

I would look into a home alarm system, these have many of the features you are looking for and they are built in, then I would configure it to a Automation Direct PLC, (by configure... discrete I/O swap) set up your inputs and outputs to the AD plc this way you can send in bit commands to the alarm system and receive

I don't have any info such as part numbers but I am sure google does :) I would also look into an SCADA/HMI to do the monitoring, but you can add that later as they are not cheap, but plan plan plan for the future, if you are going to build it then built in eithernet and wireless is a must, just think of how you want it to be in the end and set you structure up for it

Be careful when using smoke detectors, local life saftey regulations are sometimes in place. Go to NFBAA.net (I think that is correct) for the
National Fire and Burgler Alarm Association for additional information.
I think that if you want fire alarm abilities and you are going to have that system reporting to some fire authority, then code comes into play.
Also, if you want monitoring , that requires special phone communications with protocols not usually part of fire alarms.
My 2 cents.

This does sound like a fun project.

I would also use the Automation Direct PLC for the I/O functions(can't beat the price and they are very reliable). But for the video feeds and user interface I'd go the PC route. If you don't know PC programing this would be a great project to learn one.
You can download VB.Net for free at http://www.microsoft.com/Express/

With the PC you could use low cost webcams for video feeds, plug&play touchscreen monitors, pc controled remotes for TV,DVD and Radio, and to have hours of fun "Vista has Voice Recognition"

You could have lots of fun with this project(I know I would).
Tommy

DRS said:
This does sound like a fun project.

I would also use the Automation Direct PLC for the I/O functions(can't beat the price and they are very reliable). But for the video feeds and user interface I'd go the PC route. If you don't know PC programing this would be a great project to learn one.
You can download VB.Net for free at http://www.microsoft.com/Express/

With the PC you could use low cost webcams for video feeds, plug&play touchscreen monitors, pc controled remotes for TV,DVD and Radio, and to have hours of fun "Vista has Voice Recognition"

You could have lots of fun with this project(I know I would).
Tommy
Thanks for the info on the camera stuff. Will definatly check that out. I priced out a a 8" color touch screen with PLC from horner and it will be the route I choose. The price is what I expected it to be.