AB Rockwell Automation PLC 5/30 retrofit

john.mike

Hi AB experts
I wont to retrofit existing AB PLC 5/30 with new redundant system and this is my first time to work with Allen Bradley PLC .
Existing PLC configuration : Local chassis (1771-A4B) to include set of digital and analog I/O modules and CPU PLC 5/30 with two DH links one link for work stations and other link for five Remote I/O chassis which includes I/O link module (1771-ASB) and Digital I/O modules .
1-Please would you advise me which model of PLC Redundant CPU would replace the PLC 5 /30 with minimum changes of I/O address arrangements , programs and function blocks .
2-How to replace and convert The PLC 5/30 CPU to new hot Stand by system .
3-What is the minimum requirement of hardware , software and communication cable for the above application .

Welcome to the Forum !

The hot-backup system that would require the minimum amount of change to the programs and addressing is the old PLC-5 "Backup Communication Modules" method, using the 1785-BCM module.

Another option is the PLC-5 ControlNet Hot Backup system, which would require the installation of PLC-5/40C15 controllers, 1771-ACNR I/O adapters, and ControlNet cabling. Because it retains the 1771 I/O system and the PLC-5 control platform, the change to the I/O addressing and programs is minimal.

Unfortunately, both of these systems are largely obsolete; the 1785-BCM modules are no longer available for sale, and the last order date for the 1785-CHBM ControlNet Hot Backup Memory Module is just ten weeks from now. The 1771-ACNR module is also not available for new product purchase.

There are several options for migration to ControlLogix Redundancy from a PLC-5/30 system, but they require a significant investment in both hardware and engineering time.

If you want to discuss the details here on the Forum, you'll have to provide some information on the architecture of your system, including the number of analog and digital I/O modules.

You might be well served by a discussion of your control system needs with the Rockwell Automation office in Dubai:

Local Sales Office
P.O. Box 51022
Unit 5, Ground Floor
Emirate Atrium
Sheikh Zayed Road
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
Tel: + 971 4 321 1814
Fax: + 971 4 321 1816