rsview 32 install

tom_stalcup

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just a little FYI...... I spent some time today installing software on the new laptop running 2000 professional, and ran into the "Cannot instal RSView. System Path too long" message. I guess next time I need to load up a new computer, I'll install RSView first..... The fix for this, can be found in detail at this link....
Rockwell Knowledgebase article E2030499
Basically, you open up your system variables, delete all except vital items from the path variable, install RSView32, and then put back all the items you deleted when you are finished. Does anyone know if the other rockwell instal packages do this, or is it just RSView32?

I have had this occur during both RSLogix5 and RSLinx installs. It seems every install of a RS type adds to the PATH statement until it's over 255 characters.

Check for redundant and duplicate listings, also, if you install some software off the root drive C:\ the PATH statement will be that much shorter.

Also, the PATH statements below are identical to Windows applications:

PATH=C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon

PATH=C:\Progra~1\Rockwe~1\RSCommon

I'll try that next time then..... Hopefully, if I instal all of the Rockwell packages first, I can get them all on the computer before I run out of room, and then I can install everything else. On Monday I'll call tech support and find out if they plan on modifying the installer at some point. I don't actually need to talk to tech support, I just want to add to their list of open issues so they can be fixed on some later revision. Since windows 2000 doesn't seem to be limited to 255 characters, hopefully they can add something to make that check optional.

On an additional note,(slightly off topic), does anyone know exactly what the path variable is used for?

If I remember correctly, PATH is just a list of 'other places to look' when the file is not in the current directory.

beerchug

-Eric

Just one additional note.....
I didn't get around to installing rs-500 until I'd already done the rs-view instal and recovery, so maybe not EVERY rockwell install package checks for path length....... Next month I'll be doing this all over again for my boss's laptop, I'll post another followup then.

The PATH length is checked by Windows during any attempted edit, so even if the installing program tried to edit without checking the Windows Kernal would stop it.

Sadly, even RS-500 adds to he PATH statement.

I've just been through the same deal

According to the Knowledgebase article, the problem lies with InstallShield, not RSI or MS.

One thing I usually do to avoid this issue is (on development machines more than client ones) is set default System enviornmental variable shortcuts, and use them in the path statement.

After installing software, I replace it's long-path with the sysvar shortcut...

(In "System Variables")
_RS=D:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\
_S7=F:\Siemens\Step7\
_FS=C:\Program Files\FactorySuite\

Then you can substitute the shortcuts in the actual path statement...
PATH=%_RS%\RSCommon;%_S7%\;%_FS%\Common

It can be cumbersome, but with so many darned software packages to install on dev machines, it saves time in the long run.