Controller/Program tags not visible in RSLogix 5000

Joshua37

I am using a Compactlogix L16ER-BB1B (20.12) for testing an analog output.
I imported an scaling add on instruction into the program.
While running I am not able to monitor/edit the controller or program tags. It comes as blank. I exported the tags(CSV). Tags seems to be there. But the scope column returns as empty. So I crosschecked the tags defined in LD, it seems alright to me.
Can't figure out what has happened,I'm sure I've done something silly:D
I've attached some screenshots for reference.

Please advise 🤞🏻

P1.jpg P2.jpg P3.jpg

:oops: Ok Got it. Tank you. FYI I'm new to 5000.
The real trouble actually is the analog output. I want to produce a 4-20mA output to an actuator positioner.
I have been told that 5000 LD does not have the scaling instruction and one has to configure the properties. So I've set the configuration at default i.e 4-20mA and engineering high(8191) and low(1638).
I'm trying to move an integer value directly to the analog channel(1734-OE4C) but I can't get anything in the milliampere meter across the channel.

Is it the right way or something else also needs to be setup ??

SCRSHTS attached.

Thanks

p4.jpg p5.jpg

Yes, I have tried different limits but no success. Can we know otherwise whether that channel is receiving the data to transmit, like LED status or something?

Something similar happened to me the other day with no reason, just a few tags appear the rest i was not able to see them, programs were working properly.
In order to see the tags once again you just have to try to monitor one of the tag that doesn't appear and all of the sudden all tags appear. This happens under controller tags or program tags.
It seems to be a mistake of new versions. It happened twice.

Something similar happened to me the other day with no reason, just a few tags appear the rest i was not able to see them, programs were working properly.
In order to see the tags once again you just have to try to monitor one of the tag that doesn't appear and all of the sudden all tags appear. This happens under controller tags or program tags. It seems to be a mistake of new versions. It happened twice.

most (all?) of the RSLogix5000 versions (new and old) have "issues" like this ...

for no apparent reason, some of the windows won't "populate" correctly ... sometimes the "Accept/Test/Assemble/etc." menu will simply disappear while you're working online ... sometimes the "Results" window will be completely empty after a Search operation ... and so on ...

in many cases, simply "resizing" the window (even just slightly) will put it back into operation – and the contents which should have been there all along will just "poof" magically appear ... in other cases, you have to close the offending window – and then reopen it in order to "refresh" it and make the contents behave themselves ... in rare instances you might have to shut down the RSLogix5000 software completely – then restart it – in order to get things back on track again ...

party on ...

Last edited:
most (all?) of the RSLogix5000 versions (new and old) have "issues" like this ...

for no apparent reason, some of the windows won't "populate" correctly ... sometimes the "Accept/Test/Assemble/etc." menu will simply disappear while you're working online ... sometimes the "Results" window will be completely empty after a Search operation ... and so on...

Just scroll up in the results window. I'm not sure why sometimes it shows results normally and other times it is blank, but when it is blank, scrolling up in the results window will show the results.

But I have never seen the online editing toolbar disappear before. That is new to me.

OG

But I have never seen the online editing toolbar disappear before. That is new to me.

I'm usually using Version 16.03 in the lab - running on XP Pro SP3 ...

once or twice in each class a student will ask, "How can I accept my rungs - the menu bar is gone?" ... sure enough - he's online with the processor (1756-L55) - and the menu bar has totally disappeared from the top of his Ladder Display window ... note that I don't remember (maybe wrong) but I don't think that I've ever seen this problem crop up while the Ladder Display window is maximized - only with it "undocked" ...

anyway ...

we close the Ladder Display window - and when we reopen it - Bingo! - there's the menu again - right where it's supposed to be ...

the next time it happens I'll try to grab a screen shot - just for "show and tell" purposes ...

party on ...

Last edited:
:oops: Ok Got it. Tank you. FYI I'm new to 5000.
The real trouble actually is the analog output. I want to produce a 4-20mA output to an actuator positioner.
I have been told that 5000 LD does not have the scaling instruction and one has to configure the properties. So I've set the configuration at default i.e 4-20mA and engineering high(8191) and low(1638).
I'm trying to move an integer value directly to the analog channel(1734-OE4C) but I can't get anything in the milliampere meter across the channel.

Is it the right way or something else also needs to be setup ??

SCRSHTS attached.

Thanks

Thanks Ron for the elaborate reply...:)
But can you please help with the above issue ??

Can you describe how the module is wired and which terminals you are using ?

To measure the current output of a 1734-OE4C module you would put your current meter between terminals 0 and 4.

Of course you need 24V DC power on the DC I/O bus as well, because that's how the module loop gets powered.

Have you tested any of the embedded I/O ? Do those discrete outputs work ?

Do you have a field power distribution block (1734-FPD) installed ? You don't need one for just that one analog module, but if you have one then it needs +24V DC connected too.

Can you describe how the module is wired and which terminals you are using ?

To measure the current output of a 1734-OE4C module you would put your current meter between terminals 0 and 4.

Of course you need 24V DC power on the DC I/O bus as well, because that's how the module loop gets powered.

Do you have a field power distribution block (1734-FPD) installed ? You don't need one for just that one analog module, but if you have one then it needs +24V DC connected too.

Thanks Ken for being so detailed. And sorry for the late reply.
I think I have the wiring wrong. Haven't wired these before:oops: Please advise. But to answer your queries-

The local analog expansion module 1734-OE4C is the only one installed next to the controller on the point i/o bus. The module is not wired. Yes, I am measuring between terminals 0 and 4.

I have terminated VDC+ VDC- and FP+ FP-(no other wiring)

Yes, discrete embedded input is working.

No other blocks installed.

Attached are screen shots of the program(if it is not physical wiring issue)

Thanks again !!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg