Differences in RSLogix 500 packages?

wildcatherder

I can find on the Rockwell Software site:

RSLogix 500 Starter
RSLogix 500 Standard
RSLogix 500/RSLogix Emulate 500
RSLogix 500 Professional

What I cannot find is a chart or some means of comparing these four versions of the software, so I can find what I need to order.

Can someone point me to a link? I've spent a couple of hours on this already.

This link is the catalog information, but doesn't go into great detail about features. It will help you pick out the part number for the right bundle once you decide what you want:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ca/ftalk-ca001_-en-p.pdf

I am still looking for the chart that shows the differences...in my experience:

The Pro version includes RSLogix 500 emulate (very handy), includes VBA scripting (I never use this), CGM (custom graphical monitors, which are also somewhat handy), and a handful of other features...

If you want full functionality at a fair price, get at least Standard. The edition of RSLinx is also an important consideration. If you want to be able to use the DDE/OPC features of RSLinx, then get the Pro version (or Gateway), and when bundled with RSLogix, it may be cheaper.

I really think RSLogix 500 Emulate is extremely useful, depending on what you'll be doing, it may pay off to get that bundled in as well.

Hope this helps...
I will edit this post or add a reply if I can find a current version of their darn chart...
EDIT: I see Mickey found it above...
Paul

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your response. It is really hard to understand why every-single-thing I want to know about is hard to find on the rockwell automation site. Most of what I have found on their site was through links found on PLCTALK and not by searching their site .

Am I the only one who thinks RockwellAutomation.com is, shall we say, strangely organized?

Thanks to Mickey for the chart.

The usefulness of RSLogix 500 Emulate is apparent to me from fooling around with the LogixPro simulator. However, the pricing is so high that my boss will probably just buy a couple of controllers to have as a test bed, instead.

Thanks to Mickey for the chart.

The usefulness of RSLogix 500 Emulate is apparent to me from fooling around with the LogixPro simulator. However, the pricing is so high that my boss will probably just buy a couple of controllers to have as a test bed, instead.

Your welcome. The real thing is always better.

The only big drawback to using a real SLC for testing is the fact that your rack configuration must match the actual hardware being used and that may not always be possible. You can cheat around the I/O cards in some cases but not the rack config.

A real SLC with matching hardware is of course the best way to test things though, since you can test I/O hardware and PID loops with it.

The ab website is better than most in my opinion. Their big problem is the volume of information they make available. They end up burying the basic stuff amongst a huge pile of superfluous details.

I have found that by searching the literature library and sorting by Publication Type in Descending order that I am usually able to find user manuals and reference manuals quite easily.

I also really like the parts configuration wizards that let you go in and select components and options and give you a list price. You just enter a part number and if it matches, you'll jump to a list price page with links to manuals, drawings, and sometimes a Modify button that takes you to the configuration wizards where you can change options. Only problem with the wizards is that they don't always have them updated with the latest hardware and they don't function when using Google Chrome as a web browser.

Once in a while I use the google search in the upper right corner of their home page to find obscure items.

The knowledgebase is pretty useful too, except that it is also overloaded with sometimes obsolete information and some of the articles, while timely and usually accurate, are not very elegantly edited. We are lucky to have tech connect access, and I think it's disgraceful that they require a contract to view way too many of those tech notes.

I don't know if you looked at this comparison:

9324-RL0350ENE (Logix 500/Emulate Bundle) = $1920
9324-RL0300ENE (Logix 500 Standard) = $1280

It might be hard to configure a full SLC rack for testing for under $640...

Good Luck!
Paul

Last edited:
Jesper, I think you are right...the old part number still pulls up a price, but this link says it can be downloaded by existing customers and will be included with RSLogix500. I don't know if that means you have to pay extra for it as a bundle or if it is supposed to be part of the standard price. I suspect the latter...this is one of those "call the distributor" items I guess.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslogixemulate/orderinginfo.html

Paul

We only have a couple of Micrologix projects a year and never with a full rack. The link to the RSLogix Emulate page really just says it is not available as a separate product but as part of a bundle. The download statement may well apply to updates. I have a call in with a distributor but this is another example of the confusing nature of the Rockwell Automation website.