Interfacing AB Micro830 with Computer using generic RS232 cable

ivanlch

Hi,

I am working on a University project at the moment. The project scope is to implement a simple PID Program for a process tank and implement a SCADA/ HMI using Allen Bradley Micro830 PLC.

I know AB has its own HMI/ SCADA hardware. However, the aim of the project is to use software only.

So my questions are,

1) is it possible to implement a SCADA/ HMI on the computer with a generic RS232 cable + available SCADA/ HMI software or I need a RS232 cable that specifically made for Micro830?

2) how do I make my Micro830 communicate with the computer via RS232 cable? Are they able to communicate just by having the same modbus code? I am not sure how to do it.

3) how do I go about doing it? What are the available softwares? I thinking of using GE's CIMPLICTY but haven't got around to try it yet.

As you have seen, the Micro 830 has a "Mini-DIN8" serial connector for its onboard RS-232 port.

The A-B cables are not really special: they don't have any electronic voltage converters or signal conditioners in them. But they do have the proper Mini-DIN8 pinout and shell for that connector, which is fairly difficult to find in "generic" cables.

The Allen-Bradley 1761-CBL-PM02 has been the standard serial cable for the MicroLogix family of controllers, and now for the Micro 800, since 1995. They are a very ordinary and common part of the toolbox for any controls programmer who works with small Allen-Bradley controllers. A handful of vendors make knock-offs, too.

Virtually every HMI or SCADA software package on the market has a Modbus RTU serial driver, which is what the Micro 800 uses. Choose your HMI/SCADA based on what's available to you and supported locally.

As you have seen, the Micro 830 has a "Mini-DIN8" serial connector for its onboard RS-232 port.

The A-B cables are not really special: they don't have any electronic voltage converters or signal conditioners in them. But they do have the proper Mini-DIN8 pinout and shell for that connector, which is fairly difficult to find in "generic" cables.

The Allen-Bradley 1761-CBL-PM02 has been the standard serial cable for the MicroLogix family of controllers, and now for the Micro 800, since 1995. They are a very ordinary and common part of the toolbox for any controls programmer who works with small Allen-Bradley controllers. A handful of vendors make knock-offs, too.

Virtually every HMI or SCADA software package on the market has a Modbus RTU serial driver, which is what the Micro 800 uses. Choose your HMI/SCADA based on what's available to you and supported locally.

Would the cable that I have work with my controller? I have attached a photo of my serial to USB cable

2.jpg 1.jpg

Those cables from The Automation Store are known and tested to work with A-B controllers, including the Micro 830.

That yellow cable of yours I've never seen before, so I can't say if it will work or not.

Ok, lets say the cable works. How do I "bridge" my pc and PLC together? Is the cable going to do the job or the scada software is going to do the job? Or is it the program itself? Can you please enlighten me on this? How do I store and extract data from my plc? Eg, I am recording water level and flow rate. How do I extract it from my pc to put on my pc's screen? I am so new to this.

Those cables from The Automation Store are known and tested to work with A-B controllers, including the Micro 830.

That yellow cable of yours I've never seen before, so I can't say if it will work or not.

Ok, lets say the cable works. How do I "bridge" my pc and PLC together? Is the cable going to do the job or the scada software is going to do the job? Or is it the program itself? Can you please enlighten me on this? How do I store and extract data from my plc? Eg, I am recording water level and flow rate. How do I extract it from my pc to put on my pc's screen? I am so new to this.

I have never used the USB-1761-CBL-002 and "googling" it does not retrieve any Allen-Bradley web site references; the "original" 1761-CBL-002 had a Mini-DIN8 to DIN-9 and connected to the PC's Serial RS232 port.
I have used it connected to a Keyspan USA-19HS USB-to-Serial adapter.
The cable you secured might very well be functional and it looks like it is an "aftermarket" USB-to-Serial adapter for the MicroLogix family of CPUs; since the Micro8x0 family suports DF1 over the onboard Mini-DIN8 Serial Port, just give it a try...What could go wrong?..:D

I will download the driver tomorrow and see. However, when it comes to "bridging" the plc and pc. What is doing the work? Cable? Program? Or you have to program plc to do so?

I will download the driver tomorrow and see. However, when it comes to "bridging" the plc and pc: What is doing the work? Cable? Program? Or you have to program plc to do so?
You need a PLC logic control program that you write inside the PLC. Then you need a compatible program in your PC HMI software that can read the PLC "tags" and work with the PLC to control devices, turning them on or off, monitoring the analog values, making operator changes and so on. It is really an interface dance between the PC HMI software program and the PLC software program.

Bottom line: You have to program both devices to work together to get the job done.

Hi, I found the proper software to make my hmi, however, I am having trouble with making my PLC talk to the software via modbus RTU. Do you guys know any other solutions other than paying ridiculous amount of money to buy the opc to modbus servers? Thanks.