Siemens HMI software & comms method

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've been asked to make a change on a Siemens PLC and HMI. German is not my first language, and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for the HMI software?

The HMI part # is 6AV6 643-0CD01-1AX1. Is this enough information for anyone to tell me which software package/license I need to program it with? I don't think it's TIA portal, because the PLC program was done in Step 7 - I'd expect the PLC to be done in TIA as well if the HMI had been.

My other query is (as always) how to talk to the PLC and HMI? The PLC is a CPU312, which doesn't have an ethernet inteface, only MPI. The HMI has an ethernet interface, but is communicating with the PLC via the purple profibus cable.

[edit due to realising that I've been sent the wrong set of drawings and what I thought was in the panel is not actually what is in the panel]

I'm assuming that I'm going to have to have an MPI cable to get online with the PLC and HMI - does anyone know the correct part number for the cable?

I'm also guessing that I'm going to have to unplug the cable between the PLC and HMI to program them - or can I do something tricky with connecting to the ethernet port of the HMI and talking through to the PLC without disrupting their connection?

I'm a bit of a newbie with Step 7 (most of the Siemens stuff I've done has been in TIA) so any small basic info or tips on how to do any of this would be appreciated :)

Thanks all!

Last edited:
WinCC Flex is the software package.
The versionmay vary, depends on which package was used to develope the application, could be WinCC Flex 2008 up to SP3 and you're covered.
Step 7 up to version 5.5 should do the job on the PLC.
I don't think TIA Portal was used for this setup as it is an older unit(s).
The HMI talks to the PLC either via MPI of Profibus.
The port on the back of the hMI can be configured for both.
You will need an adapter not just a plain cable since the adapter comes with the converter.
You can purchase the new USB adapter from Siemens that will do the job.
Price is around $750.00 US not sure hwta discounts you get down under.
Replace the Profibus connector (the one plugged to the PLC port with one that has a "2nd port extension built in".
Next time you don't have to unplug the HMI in order to go online. those are sold by Siemens and the price range depends on the actual configuration (35 degrees, 90 degrees. etc).
The most expensive pricing I've seen for those is around $90.00 US.

I have a 6ES7 972-0CB20-0XA0 adaptor, is that the correct one? (I sure hope so, because we sure as hell don't get any discounts from Siemens down here, and I don't know that the customer's going to like the idea of paying $750 for a glorified USB-serial adaptor)

I haven't seen those two port profibus connectors, I'll have a look for one!

Thanks!

Great, thanks Jesper.

I have a copy of the Step 7 v5.5 project, which has the HMI integrated with it. At the moment I open it up and it tells me I have a missing software package (WinCC), so I've got a disk on it's way to me now.

I don't believe I have a WinCC license though - is there any way (once I have the software installed) to tell what level of license I need? Or are there even different levels? I wish I could ask all this of my Siemens rep, but the support here in Oz is useless these days.

It should give you a temporary license, you could check that to see what you need.

The message about a missing software license may be wrong, and it may be correct.
The panel (6AV6 643-0CD01-1AX1) is an MP277-10 Touch. It can be programmed in both WinCC Flexible and WinCC TIA.
The HMI project that is integrated in STEP7 v5.5 is a WinCC Flexible project. This may be the actual project, or it may be a previous project that has been migrated at a later time to WinCC TIA.

Open the WinCC Flexible project and look through all the configured screens. Do they look the same as on the MP277 ?
On the MP277-10 panel, go to the "Control Panel" at boot-up, activate the "OP" icon, go to the "device" tab and check the Image version. That will tell if the RT is made with Flexible or TIA.

My guess is that the WinCC Flexible project is the real HMI project.
It would not make much sense to migrate the HMI to TIA since the PLC is programmed in STEP7 v5.5.
Or, have both PLC and HMI programs been migrated to TIA ?
If that is the case, your STEP7 v5.5 project with both PLC and HMI programs is not current.
I think it is unlikely though.

It's definitely not been migrated to TIA (just confirmed that with the OEM).

I don't yet have WinCC installed, when the disk arrives I'll fire it up and see what I can learn.

Boneless - good to know I'll get a temporary license. That'll at least put my mind at rest that I can at least open all the files! Once I've got it open, whereabouts will I need to look to determine the license type I need?

Thanks!

Update: the disk arrived and the software is installed. Now when I try to open one of the HMI screens, I get the attached popup. I guess this means that I need either a Compact, Standard or Advanced license, with Compact presumably being the cheapest. Am I right?

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 3.36.49 pm.png

Thanks Jesper.

Just for anyone following along at home, I finally heard back from my rep, who tells me that this particular screen needs a Standard license. Now I just have to brace myself for the incoming quote...

But... if the HMI is made with WinCC Flexible (as you wrote in post #9 "not migrated to TIA"), you need WinCC Flexible Standard, not need TIA WinCC Standard.

Yep, got the Flexible software and a quote for the Flexible license (a mere $1300! (y))

(that's actually a lot less than I was expecting given recent history with Siemens software pricing)

You can also rent a license, perhaps that would be good enough for you?

I would not spend that much money on an obsolete license. Perhaps it would be wiser to try to convert the program to TIA and purchase that instead?