How to read Calibration Time remaining from a Hineywell XNX Transmitter using HART

sanger

The Honeywell XNX Universal Transmitter describes how to get the number of days remaining until calibration is required using Modbus but I can not find information on how to do thus using the HART protocol.

We are using a ControlLogix with 1756-IF16H HART enabled input modules.

Any ideas.

Navigation to the sensor life variable via HART is 1-3-8-2 as shown in the XNX Universal Transmitter Technical Manual, release 1 March 2009 on

Page A-13 in Appendix A - HART Protocol:

ajrwj6.jpg

We're looking to read the parameter pragmatically with the 1756-IF16H module rather than via the hand-held terminal.

I believe that HART data that reside outside the primary through 4th variables or data that are not status tags are considered HART pass-through communications.

The AB manual, chapter 8 talks somewhat about pass-through messaging

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um533_-en-p.pdf
1756-um533 manual for 1756-IF8H HART module

There are some passthrough programming examples in this document from Spectrum Controls, an A-B authorized partner who offers HART modules:
(not the same model as the A-B model)

Owner’s Guide 0300196-02 Rev. E
CONTROLLOGIX HART ANALOG MODULES
Catalog Numbers: 1756sc-IF8H, 1756sc-OF8H

http://www.spectrumcontrols.com/pdfs/abio/1756sc_Analog_HART_Manual_0300196-02e.pdf

If it were me, I'd investigate using Modbus RTU (on RS-485), because the sensor life data you want is readily available with a Modbus 03 read holding register command as a floating point value from registers 40009/40010, in units of days.