FactoryTalk HMI Button Problem

nick13

Disclaimer: I am not a controls engineer, and am pretty unfamiliar with programming of any sort.

With that being said, I am having issues with replacing a current screen on our PanelView HMI with a revised screen. For some background, the system includes multiple machines, each which has its own HMI, which includes 10 individual "recipes" for each machine, and each recipe includes 6 screens. Currently, each recipe is a "living" file where any change made automatically saves and it only changes for the active recipe.

The screen I am trying to add has a button scheme where there are 3 buttons, but only 1 can be used at once because the button activates 1 of 3 modes in the PLC to control the machine based on 3 different outputs. When we load the new screen and try to push on one of the buttons, it activates the mode and changes the value in the PLC, but once we release the button, it deactivates on the HMI. We want it to stay on after we push the button. The buttons are momentary buttons, so do we need to change to a different button style? We have multiple HMI's and multiple recipes per HMI, so I have read around in these forums that momentary buttons are the way to go with that type of complex setup.

Another issue popped up when we loaded the HMI. When it would load, it would switch all the modes in each recipe to "timer". So if we were to load it we would have to go through each recipe on each machine and change the mode back to whatever it was before. Any ideas why this occurs?

I have attached the old & new logic code as well as the old and new button setup on the HMI. Any suggestions are welcome. Again, sorry that I did not use the proper vernacular.

NewButtons.jpg OldButtons.jpg NewLogic.jpg OldLogic.jpg

When we load the new screen and try to push on one of the buttons, it activates the mode and changes the value in the PLC, but once we release the button, it deactivates on the HMI. We want it to stay on after we push the button. The buttons are momentary buttons, so do we need to change to a different button style?

For this issue you need to choose a value for the buttons indicator that will stay "true" while you're running that machine process.

Update:
If you look in the pictures for the old and new logic, the old logic used the same tag address for both modes "TIMER" on (& "CAMERA" off) or "CAMERA" on (& "TIMER" off). This was possible to program the buttons because there are two states for a button and only two modes.

Now, we have three modes: "TIMER", "CAMERA", & "SAG" where only 1 of the 3 can be on at once. In the new logic, we want to maintain the same tag address for "TIMER" & "CAMERA" because if we change it then it will change all of the recipes we have and that could lead to an issue in the future. So, we need to add a new address for "SAG", but program the buttons so that only one of the three will be on at once.

Any ideas how to do this?

use latched pushbuttons and an integer value in the code. so one button will equal 0, another 1 and another 2. Then use a compare value to activate the mode you want. All three buttons will write to the same integer address in the code and display the corresponding mode. If your HMI has an ON/OFF/AUTO screen you might be able to see what I mean.