What's a Good Laptop

showshocka

Hi. Our old shop's laptop has recently been damaged and the System Engineer is asking what kind of new laptop we need. Here we have PLC5, 500 and logix 5000, PV 1000, 1200, 1400 and 1500. We us DH-485, Ethernet and 1784-U2DHP DH+ for communication USB to DB9. And DB9 to DB25 connections. The laptop we use now is pretty reliable just slow. It has been here, in use for years so it's pretty dam durable as well. What laptop computers would any one of you recommend for me that will be suitable; one that will be fast, durable and capable of handling for what we need for. Or maybe I can get two descent laptops that will add up to one really good. I can take a good guess that they will spend up to about $1500.00 or so. It's no question that they do make Laptops for Industrial purposes, just wanted to get the recommendation form you guys, the Pros. Thanks. BTW the one we use now is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114288

I like dell precision series like the 6500 as we run virtual machines and I like the 2 hard drive options and large RAM /memory capacity with the 17 inch screens but they are on the heavy side.

Fujitsu is my brand, we bough 3x E780 2 yesrs ago and i expect it will last for still few years. It was a little more than your max target price for each but the E780 is a really good one.
The criteria was a fast processor (Mid size) and a real serial DB9 232 port and a windows XP...
IT team or any computer dealer look at me like if i was searching a brand new carburated car in 2012 but it is what we need to work with new and old software and only Fuji and Dell still make them
The large screen help new multiwindow software but you may not need either
I never got any successful try with an usb to serial converter but if you do it's probably a 500$ saving per unit
But without serial port, you could find any good 17inch screen laptop with a decent memory and processor around 7-800$

I don't sugest industrial pc as it cost 4-5times the price and would be obsolete quickly. Even if you broke a standard one it will still be cheaper than an industrial pc. Just make sure to have backup of it.

In your case, you could find something very good for around 700$

you could always hook a second screen into it when you are working at your desk. but it wouldnt be portable

Associates of mine have had miserable luck over the years with the cheaper HPs, I avoid those. I've had good luck with the Dell Latitude series and the Toshiba Tecra series.

Rugged or non rugged

This is a great website for refurbished toughbooks, I'm not sure if you have to deal with the elements at all or the ever so destructive sanitation crews. At my plant they have direct sprayed into a 480 enclosure I was working in destroying the panel and laptop and damn near killed me, then another time they decided the new laptop was dirty so they cleaned it with chemicals and melted the case. I am on my third Dell Inspiron and finally have them convinced when this one dies to just cough up the money for a toughbook. Another nice thing is they have built in serial ports so no null modems needed.

http://www.ocruggedlaptops.com/refurbished_toughbooks.html

I've had good luck with the Dell Latitude series and the Toshiba Tecra series.
The Tecra series is what we have now! This thing is very durable. It's the one I requested but the Engineer wanted to do it his way, knowing nothing a bout PLC's. Shaking my head....

I have an old Dell D620 that I told my IT guy I am not going to give up. Instead I want it upgraded with a SSD and 4GB ram. The D620 is the perfect size for field work, has a 1440x900 screen, and it has a true serial port. The CPU may not be the fastest but most of the time you are waiting for a 5400 RPM drive. In the office I connect the D620 to a 24 inch monitor.

One of our tech support guys wants a new lap top. He has a D620 too. I am suggesting that we upgrade both of our D620s instead of buying new laptops.

Dell M4600-M4700 are a little smaller and have everything you need. I run LOTS of virtual machines to support LOTS of different software. This platform offers multiple hard disk bays, RAID, and supports LOTS of RAM.

The M4600-M4700, as well as the M6600-M6700 series have a legacy port replicator. It gives you a true serial port to attach when needed. It is like a mini-docking station. This feature is also available on Latitude series laptops as well if you want something smaller.

I do keep a few older D630's around for intermittent use in the field. I would not count on them all of the time they are getting some hours on them at this point.

RSL

+1
I have a couple of D820s; 1680x1050 screens which is great for ladder logic, and for longer commissioning jobs I bring along a docking station and a 22" monitor for the dual screen capability. I'm not looking to replace these either.

I have an old Dell D620 that I told my IT guy I am not going to give up. Instead I want it upgraded with a SSD and 4GB ram. The D620 is the perfect size for field work, has a 1440x900 screen, and it has a true serial port. The CPU may not be the fastest but most of the time you are waiting for a 5400 RPM drive. In the office I connect the D620 to a 24 inch monitor.

One of our tech support guys wants a new lap top. He has a D620 too. I am suggesting that we upgrade both of our D620s instead of buying new laptops.

This question is coming up a lot lately, should be a sticky with a summary!!

Workstation Performance Laptops (64 bit OS, Windows 7/8, 8GB ram, SSD hard disk(s), High Resolution, 15-17" screen)

Non Rugged Field Laptops (64 bit OS, Windows XP/7, 8GB ram, SSD hard disk, Low Resolution, 14-15" screen)

Rugged Field Laptops (64 bit OS, Windows XP/7, 8GB ram, SSD hard disk, Low Resolution, 14-15" screen)

True Serial Port Laptops (32 bit OS, Windows XP/7, 4GB ram, SSD/mechanical hard disk, Low Resolution, 14-15" screen)

PCMCIA Port Laptops
(32 bit OS, Windows XP, 4GB ram, SSD/mechanical hard disk, Low Resolution, 14-15" screen)

Oldies but goodies (pry it from my dead hands)