Creating a MSG path string

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

I'm working on a program that changes its MSG path dynamically via a string. It's not my code (customer supplied), and it's not working. :/

The MSG instruction is talking to a Fanuc robot, and is in the format of:

'$01$03$12$p192.168.1.100'

This is the way that it's working elsewhere, so I've got assume that the problem is on my end.

Has anyone set up a MSG instruction this way before, and what do the parameters mean in this context?

Thanks!

I assume this is a Logix:

you need to pad path string to even number of characters, so, it will look like this:

'$01$03$12$r192.168.1.100$00'
where $r represent hex value of 0D =13 characters.
$p = 0C is for 12 characters

There are few TNs in the knowledgebase that explain the path in string format. I think manual does it also.

The easiest way to verify path is to create a dummy message, type a path needed in GUI and verify string format in the MSG.PATH tag

I know the latest Stratix switch Faceplate sample code has AIO that converts text string to the PATH format

Last edited:
Thanks! We had it all correct with the exception of making a null terminated string. So we extended the string length by one, and made sure that the last character was a '$00'.

So close, yet so far... :)

So that's it !

I wrote some code like this on a system where I had 90 near-identical Ethernet nodes, but I couldn't get it to work right for the ones addressed under .10 or over .100.

The even number makes sense now. Thanks !

So we extended the string length by one, and made sure that the last character was a '$00'.
Wrong!
I guess, you did not read my post completely - you only add $00 if you have an odd number of characters to make it even.
Here is an example: $01$03$12$0E162.168.35.100 - as you see it does not have $00 at the end

Last edited:
Wrong!
I guess, you did not read my post completely - you only add $00 if you have an odd number of characters to make it even.
Here is an example: $01$03$12$0E162.168.35.100 - as you see it does not have $00 at the end

No I didn't. :oops: I see the even number reference now. Many thanks!