Industrial A/D Converter

Bbarnett

I have an analog signal, 0-10V, that I need to convert to 8 digital bits. What is best way to do this in an industrial setting? Only thing I have found is a Weidmuller RS U-D8 A/D. Anything more common?

Instead of looking for such hardware (0-256 granularity!) just connect said 0-10 VDC signal to any major automation platform Analog Input point then scale the signal's Engineering Units as InputMin = EUMin = 0 and InputMax = EUMax = 256.

If this is not good enough, create a SINT (Short Integer) tag and Move/Copy the scaled values of the Analog Input point into the 8-bit SINT tag.

So, I guess what your'e saying is that the only way of doing this is to buy a PLC with an analog input card / digital output card?
Given that have already found a Weidmuller unit that can do it, it's certainly not the only way, but it is a way to do it. Among the lower cost models is the Automation Direct Click, for which the software to program it is free.

I have an analog signal, 0-10V, that I need to convert to 8 digital bits. What is best way to do this in an industrial setting? Only thing I have found is a Weidmuller RS U-D8 A/D. Anything more common?

Curious..Then what?

So, I guess what your'e saying is that the only way of doing this is to buy a PLC with an analog input card / digital output card?

Not the only way...A better way maybe...

What is best way to do this in an industrial setting?

I presumed that a 2017 "industrial setting" will contain at least one PLC...The analog feature could be added if not available...

Texas Instruments provides some 'Arduino Class' 8-bit Analog-to-Digital converters (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/adc0802-n.pdf), however, this is not what I would consider suitable for a "industrial setting"...:D

I came across this thread because I was asked to do something similar and I was wondering how to price it. But, really, are you serious? The ADC0802 series is not "Arduino class" Those things have been running on industrial instrumentation since the early 80's!

Not the only way...A better way maybe...

I presumed that a 2017 "industrial setting" will contain at least one PLC...The analog feature could be added if not available...

Texas Instruments provides some 'Arduino Class' 8-bit Analog-to-Digital converters (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/adc0802-n.pdf), however, this is not what I would consider suitable for a "industrial setting"...:D