Panelview plus 800 connection to compactlogix 1769 30er controller

akash11132

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I am currently working on a project which involves PanelView Plus 800 as HMI and compactlogix 1769 30ER controller. There are 400 tags that has to be sent from CompactLogix controller to PVP 800 HMI.

Since there is a tag limit for PVP800 HMI( only 200 external tags), I could not send all tags over Ethernet/IP. Therefore, I decided to use MODBUS TCP/IP to transport the remaining tags from compactlogix controller(Modbus Server) to the PVP HMI(Modbus Client). Is there any way around to implement this without using any additional hardware modules.

Regards,
Akash

200 tag limit? Wow, I am so glad I abandoned RA HMI products years ago. Honestly my first recommendation is to change HMI brands to Red Lion.

2nd, how will using Modbus help you overcome the 200 tag limit? Is it 200 tags per device?

3rd, and this is probably what I would do if in your shoes and was stuck with crippled hardware: Do some tag multiplexing in PLC code. Use the display page tag so that the PLC knows what page is being displayed, and have the PLC logic map different sets of data to the same HMI tags. This is ugly but costs nothing (since the common assumption is that our time has no value).

^ tag multiplexing is exactly what I was thinking.

200 tag limit? Is that where you actually add the tags to the database? Because the normal panelview line can access tag info two different ways- through putting a tag in the database, or just directly accessing the address at the PLC.

Can the 800 series directly access the PLC tags? Because if so, I wouldn't think there would be a limit to that?

@OkiePC Actually, the 200 external tag limit only applies to communication with CompactLogix 5370 controllers. When I asked for solution, RA support told me to map the PLC tags as Modbus tags and send it to PVP HMI. Here is the picture.

@Rupej.I was not aware of the 2 ways of data accessing. What I did was create HMI terminal tags and map it to the addresses of PLC tags.I have attached the validation error result.

PANELVIEW.jpg EXTERNALTAGLIMIT.jpg

CCW does not support direct references that I know of. I have only used it once or twice to make minor changes to the work of others.

From Publication 2711R-UM001G-EN-E - March 2018 Page 150:

Code:
IMPORTANT PanelView 800 applications that are configured to communicate
with a CompactLogix 5370 controller must meet the following restrictions:

The following limits apply from firmware revision 5.011 onwards
  • Maximum number of CompactLogix 5370 controllers: 1
  • Maximum number of Screens: 50
  • Maximum number of External Tags: 400
  • Maximum number of Alarms: 400

The following limits apply from firmware revision 3.011 to 4.0xx
  • Maximum number of CompactLogix 5370 controllers: 1
  • Maximum number of Screens: 25
  • Maximum number of External Tags: 200
  • Maximum number of Alarms: 150

If any one of the above restrictions are not met, the validation
will always fail. You will not be able to download and run the
application on a PanelView 800 terminal.

So does that mean there are different tag limits when connecting to another controller, like a MicroLogix?

Geez, it's like they go out of their way to make it difficult, hoping you just give up and go to a pricier model.

@Geoff, yup I am upgrading the firmware to 5.011 to accommodate all the tags.

@Rupej Yes. there are different external tag limits for different controller configurations

^ tag multiplexing is exactly what I was thinking.

200 tag limit? Is that where you actually add the tags to the database? Because the normal panelview line can access tag info two different ways- through putting a tag in the database, or just directly accessing the address at the PLC.

Can the 800 series directly access the PLC tags? Because if so, I wouldn't think there would be a limit to that?
Yes agree, there should not be a limit when using direct PLC addresses

You cannot program panelview 800 using FTView Machine edition. Only software you can use is Connected components workbench(CCW).

I don't know if you could do direct referencing to PLC using Connected components workbench(CCW). If direct referencing is there, then there is no need to worry about the number of tags. Otherwise, the taglimit is 400.

plcsnet1.JPG