OT: solenoid valve w 460vac coil

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all...

Anybody know where I can find a good 460vac single solenoid valve?

We use a solenoid valve mounted on a moving cutter carriage that uses two legs of the blade motor circuit (460vac) to operate the up/down motion of the cutting head via pneu. cylinder. The part we use is now obsolete.

I don't have the flow specs, but I need a 460vac single solenoid 3-way or 4-way valve with 3/8" or 1/2" ports that's somewhat compact. We use about 60psi normally, but could go as high as 100.

The cylinder is a 3x4 inch model and lifts about a hundred pounds.

It would be a real pain to add wiring to the cutter carriage to change valve voltages. The only electrical connection to the thing is 460v to the blade motor through a power rail ("trolley"-like bus bar/brush system). The air is supplied through a single coiled hose that wraps around the power rail.

I could put the valve on the fixed part of the machine and change the cylinder to single acting with a spring return, but I'd much rather keep the cylinder as is. It would be nearly impossible to add another air line without major changes.

I haven't tried the pnuematic mfg web sites yet. You guys (and gals) are so experienced, intelligent, and fast responding; I'm getting a (bad?) habit of looking here first!

Thanks,
Paul C.

Thanks, but all the ASCO valves I looked at on the online catalog at 460vac are 2 way. I need a 3-way (with quick exhaust valves) or 4-way to operate the double acting cyclinder.

EDIT: I should add that the cycle rate is fairly high. The valve is on for about 3 seconds, and off 3 seconds, 24 hours a day 360 days a year.

You could use a more standard voltage (120VAC) solenoid coil and put a couple of solid state relays (to accommodate the high cycle rates) in a small control box.

These hockey pucks can be found here:

http://www.omega.com/manuals/manualpdf/M3813.pdf

Yes, Omega actually makes a solid state relay with up to 660 volts on the control side! Probably others do as well.

PROS:
1) Standard solenoid coil voltage
2) You can stock a couple of extra SSRs in case one fries.

CON:
1) You have to make a small control box.

My ASCO catalog has all the 3 ways (except 1 or 2) and most 4 ways with that optional voltage. Series 8300, 8314, 8316, 8317, 8321, 8320, 8327 all list 480 VAC as an option. Did not check online so it might be different, but I got the catalog last week from the salesman. I've used many in cycling duty like yours without problems (some as fast as once per second). It doesn't sound like you want ASCO though.

Thanks guys, for doing the footwork. It wasn't obvious to me that coil voltages other than what's listed on the web are available. I found a distributor, and verified the part number with the voltage I need and am awaiting a quote. I'll make sure they send me a paper catalog for future reference. Sometimes the high tech internet catalog wizards are more time consuming and frustrating than sitting on hold with a supplier. The ASCO website is very good, though, no complaints about their products either. We use a lot of their two-way valves for main supply lines to our machines and I don't even have a catalog. Guess that speaks for their reliability.

Jimmie_Ohio: You lost me with the SSR stuff?
Steve Bailey: The transformer idea is excellent. We really don't have much room on the carriage, but next time I have one on the bench, I'll look into that possibility.

Might help

Another way to do this (if you were using a 9 or 12 lead motor) would be to use a 240 volt soleniod and feed it off of 4&7 and 5&8 or 6&9. You can use this for single or 3 phase 230 volt stuff where you have 460 feeding your motor.

OkiePC said:
Jimmie_Ohio: You lost me with the SSR stuff?
What I was trying to communicate was that if you changed to a more standard solenoid coil (120vac instead of 480vac), you could use the existing 480vac signals (one for each solenoid coil) and switch 120vac to control the "new" solenoids. But instead of beating up a mechanical relay with the high cycle rates, I suggested a solid state relay.

Just another way to solve the problem...