What is the opposite of free-board in Process Control terminology?

100%, I was looking for the antonym for freeboard.

I thought the word "level" was ambiguous to the measurement reference point. Freeboard, on the other hand, seemed to have a universally accepted concrete measurement reference.

Level Definition from Google.

noun
1. a horizontal plane or line with respect to the distance above or below a given point.
2. a position on a real or imaginary scale of amount, quantity, extent, or quality.

adjective
1. having a flat and even surface without slopes or bumps.
2. at the same height as someone or something else.

verb
1. give a flat and even surface to.
2. begin to fly horizontally after climbing or diving.

Noun freeboard (plural freeboards)
1. The vertical distance between the waterline and the uppermost watertight deck of a vessel.
2. The distance between a water level and the top of something that contains or restrains it (such as a dam).
3. The distance between the top of sea ice and the water level.

Last edited:
Yes, but Tom's point is perhaps that the OP is looking for an antonym of freeboard/ullage.

That's right.

id10t is right about the ambiguity. Since most tanks have a pitched bottom to facilitate drainage you always need to be careful about specifying the reference point, and level is the difference between the surface and that reference point.

That's not unique to level. A lot of engineering measurements are the difference between two points. Voltage and pressure are two examples.