Language Work

The Plc Kid

I have never done a lot of language switching work in controllers or HMI systems and need a little advice.

I speaking of rockwell equipment and I know language switching is fairly easy in most of the HMI families but what about the plc's?

Is there a easy way to make tags and comments in logix 5000 change to another language?

What brings this up is I have a piece of german equipment with a slc 5/05 and all the comments are german and I need it to be in english. Correct me if I am wrong but there is no way in logix 500 to do language switching of comments is there?

What would be the best method to convert? I was thinking of exporting the DB and use google translate to chnage the comments and page titles and then reimport. Or is there a better way?

We don't use any language switching here at all so I am suffering from a lack odf experience on this one.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

RSLogix 5000 v17 (not 5 or 500) added the same language switching capability that is part of FactoryTalk View.

As for translation, an online translation can help, but context can be an issue. Perhaps someone fluent in the languages would be best though. I usually recommend hiring a college kid.

OG

Kid,

If you post an I/O list a picture file at a time here, I bet one of our German buddies will translate it for you.