TwinCAT The file 'VisualElements.dll' is missing ...

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello TwinCAT wizards. Once more this exhausted soul cries for help for something that is probably so very easy to solve for the wizards.

When I open my TwinCAT project I see the error shown below and in the attachement.

* * * The file 'VisualElements.dll' is missing in the repository for visual elements * * *

Yet the PLC program is working as I expect, the TwinCAT engineering tool communicates with the PLC through the ADC interface.

I have studied the Beckhoff document and I cannot find a step-by-step procedure to correct this.:confused:

20200212_TwinCAT_VisualElements_DLL.jpg

Your library might not have the correct visualization file loaded due to it being a 4020 revision and your environment is 4022. If you close the project and try opening up with 4020 does this go away? Also try to browse the libraries and edit the references/repositories in advanced mode to see if there is another version available

I can do better. My project (TC3 rel 4016) shows 160 errors about visualization stuff when I open it in VS2012.

I am not using visualization. After I run "Rebuild All", the errors disappear until I again re-open the project, so doesn't really matter other than confusing for somebody taking over the task.

Hello. I am resurrecting this old post because I was able to crack the problem and I hope this could help someone else in then future. I a hypothesizing here that there was a problem when I installed the latest TwinCAT full setup on this PC, which left some folders that normally should be eliminated (could not see them in other PCs in which I have TwinCAT). After removing those the error does not show up.

TwinCAT_VisualizationProblem.png