You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!


 
 
plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.
 
Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!


Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2020, 08:44 PM   #31
theColonel26
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

theColonel26 is offline
 
theColonel26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 222
neither, I prefer Wago and Phoenix Contact Push In Terminals, with the buttons
__________________
SkyCad is by far the Best ECAD Schematic Software I have used.
  Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:11 AM   #32
diat150
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

diat150 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,325
I used to use Wago but recently swapped to Weidmueller A3C. I find the Weidmueller are better.








The Weidmueller are nice and smooth, no sharp edges. Also, if you use 3 pole terminal and ground blocks, everything is nice and uniform in size. From what I remember, you couldnt get fuse blocks and terminal blocks that were the exact same size with Wago.
  Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 02:20 PM   #33
theColonel26
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

theColonel26 is offline
 
theColonel26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by diat150 View Post
I used to use Wago but recently swapped to Weidmueller A3C. I find the Weidmueller are better.








The Weidmueller are nice and smooth, no sharp edges. Also, if you use 3 pole terminal and ground blocks, everything is nice and uniform in size. From what I remember, you couldnt get fuse blocks and terminal blocks that were the exact same size with Wago.
Oh really hmmm I was just about to Swtich to Wago Push Buttons from Allen Bradley Cage Clamps (I think I heard Weidmueller makes them)

I will have to check them out
  Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 09:00 AM   #34
bulletin blues
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

bulletin blues is offline
 
bulletin blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: out there
Posts: 197
I always thought it would be cool if the screw type terminals had some sort of transparent window, that would let you see if the wire is actually fully inserted.
__________________
_____
  Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 09:45 AM   #35
Bit_Bucket_07
Member
United States

Bit_Bucket_07 is offline
 
Bit_Bucket_07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletin blues View Post
I always thought it would be cool if the screw type terminals had some sort of transparent window, that would let you see if the wire is actually fully inserted.

Meh. Strip the wire to the correct length, bend it approximately 90 degrees and insert the wire into the terminal cage. Hold it there while tightening the screw.

It will be fully inserted and you won't insert the insulation into the cage. It's not really that complicated.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 11:01 AM   #36
Aabeck
Member
United States

Aabeck is offline
 
Aabeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletin blues View Post
I always thought it would be cool if the screw type terminals had some sort of transparent window, that would let you see if the wire is actually fully inserted.
Transparent Aluminum???

Scotty and Wayne Knight would be proud
__________________
Never underestimate the quality of idiots that will be running your machines
http://aabeck.com
  Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 07:04 PM   #37
diat150
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

diat150 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by theColonel26 View Post
Oh really hmmm I was just about to Swtich to Wago Push Buttons from Allen Bradley Cage Clamps (I think I heard Weidmueller makes them)

I will have to check them out

This is my local rep. Feel free to contact him. Not sure if he would cover your region but I am sure he can put you in touch with the right person if not. He is an extremely nice guy and one of the few that actually follows up when he says he will.



Brian Ledet Weidmüller Inc.
Field Sales Engineer
Cell: 504.655.7014
Customer Service:800.849.9343
Email: Brian.Ledet@weidmueller.com
  Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 07:50 PM   #38
theColonel26
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

theColonel26 is offline
 
theColonel26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by diat150 View Post
This is my local rep. Feel free to contact him. Not sure if he would cover your region but I am sure he can put you in touch with the right person if not. He is an extremely nice guy and one of the few that actually follows up when he says he will.



Brian Ledet Weidmüller Inc.
Field Sales Engineer
Cell: 504.655.7014
Customer Service:800.849.9343
Email: Brian.Ledet@weidmueller.com
thanks will do
  Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 08:11 PM   #39
dogleg43
Member
United States

dogleg43 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletin blues View Post
I always thought it would be cool if the screw type terminals had some sort of transparent window, that would let you see if the wire is actually fully inserted.
Prior to the junky IEC style terminals popular today, we always used NEMA terminals that had larger screws and had more visibility. You could actually see if the wire was landed correctly. Alas, that ship sailed years ago.
  Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2020, 12:31 PM   #40
DairyBoy
Member
Wales

DairyBoy is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 367
I've just completed an installation for a customer whose connector spec is Wago for all; low level signals and power, which in this case includes pumps up to 7.5kW. The Wago rep informed me that spring & cage clamp are all they make and that I should have no concerns about power wiring through these types. But... my underlying worry is the (as I see it) minimal surface area contact created when using ferrules with clamps, vs the full-width spread of strands in the same place. I've always seen this as the perfect location for a high res point in a power circuit and have always used screw types for all power connections. I do agree though, that uninformed/unintelligent tool-wielders can totally wreck the cage clamp types or leave them damaged and waiting to fail at the slightest poke.
  Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 03:35 AM   #41
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

JesperMP is offline
 
JesperMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Copenhagen.
Posts: 14,099
DairyBoy, it will be OK.
The cage clamp spring will apply pressure to one side of the ferrule, and there will be a large contact area on the other side of the ferrule.
We use cage clamps up to 4mm² with no problems at all.
In the past we have used even larger cage clamps, but the problem is that the force needed to insert the screwdriver for opening them gets excessive. So we have dropped that. Instead we connect directly on the motor starters - which for the smaller sizes are also cage clamps.
__________________
Jesper
See my profile interests for Q&A
  Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 03:33 PM   #42
BITS N BYTES
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

BITS N BYTES is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyBoy View Post
I've just completed an installation for a customer whose connector spec is Wago for all; low level signals and power, which in this case includes pumps up to 7.5kW. The Wago rep informed me that spring & cage clamp are all they make and that I should have no concerns about power wiring through these types. But... my underlying worry is the (as I see it) minimal surface area contact created when using ferrules with clamps, vs the full-width spread of strands in the same place. I've always seen this as the perfect location for a high res point in a power circuit and have always used screw types for all power connections. I do agree though, that uninformed/unintelligent tool-wielders can totally wreck the cage clamp types or leave them damaged and waiting to fail at the slightest poke.

If you are using ferrules in cage clamp style terminals I would highly recommend using a square pattern ferrule crimper vs. octagonal. This increases the contact area between the ferrule and spring clamp surfaces by at least 2.5 times.
My 2 cent.
  Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 04:05 PM   #43
Srb88042
Member
United States

Srb88042 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Maine
Posts: 4
Spring all the way here. I’ve worked on some low quality automation direct screw type, and they are junk!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
terminal block technology MNJ96 LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 23 February 17th, 2020 05:49 PM
Rotary Index Table app. gpdc LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 1 September 20th, 2007 01:22 PM
Air compressor screw type - questions leitmotif LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 7 September 11th, 2007 06:02 AM
melsec type A0J2 and MAC E200 terminal? ason LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 10 January 17th, 2007 01:22 PM
OT Cage Clamp Terminals MikeW LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 15 January 19th, 2005 09:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


.