You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 15th, 2020, 01:03 AM   #1
AB2005
Pakistan

Installation of Siemens PLC software along woth AB softwares

Hello;

I have a Laptop having W10 arranged for Allen Bradley softwares for PLCs and HMIs. As some of our machines have Siemens PLCs and HMIs for which we have arranged their Softwares. Kindly guide me if installation of both AB and Siemens softwares in a same Window is ok? Someone told me that Siemens softwares create conflictions with AB.
Previously i installed a VM in same Laptop for other softwares but we have not a good experience with VM. So want to install both in same window.
Old February 15th, 2020, 03:10 AM   #2
AlfredoQuintero
Lifetime Supporting Member
Japan

Hello. I have a couple of Windows 10 worstations with both Studio 5000 and TIA Portal and have never experienced any problems that I could establish were due to having these two programs installed. As long as the PC has enough RAM, HD space and the licenses are correctly activated, see no reason why this should not be possible. Moreover, my PC has several LAN adapters and I can even at the same time monitor our S7-1200, S7-1500 and our CompacLogix processors which are connected in different networks. I would advise to use separate networks because EtherNet/IP uses a lot of multicast communications that can disrupt the Profinet communication.
Old February 15th, 2020, 04:25 AM   #3
Lare
Finland

What disavantages on VM?
Old February 15th, 2020, 06:37 AM   #4
AlfredoQuintero
Japan

Virtual machines considerably slow down performance, unless the worstatin has better than decent RAM and processor. Hard drive capacity is also necessary as a VM may require dozens of Gbytes. But yes, this is another solution, I would agree
Old February 15th, 2020, 06:50 AM   #5
Lare
Finland

Have used VMs for years.

Communication can be problem to main computer ports, but with USB-serial and USB-ethernet converters and with powerful laptops it works.

Another way could be to divide hard dive to two partitions and install one Windows to each.
Then on startup select witch windows you want to start.

Last edited by Lare; February 15th, 2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old February 15th, 2020, 03:17 PM   #6
mk42
United States

Different brands of software sometimes don't play nice with COM ports (serial) because Windows only lets one use it at a time.

I've never heard of a case where someone had brands interfering with each other over an Ethernet port.
Old February 15th, 2020, 03:50 PM   #7
janner_10
United Kingdom

I have Studio 20 onwards and TIA v11 onwards on my W10 laptop - no issues at all.
Old February 15th, 2020, 04:15 PM   #8
kalabdel
Canada

I use VMs and would never go back; actually I'm a VM extremist as I put almost everything on VMs just because.

You do need SSD for sure, you need lots of hard drive space for sure and you if you want to run more than one VM at the same time you will need a high end processor and lots of RAM; I only run one VM at a time.

I used to have endless problems with communication with PLCs, wasted days and weeks to resolve them and often had to do a new install.

Now I all I have to do if that happens (and it hasn't for years)is to restore the entire VM from backup.

I am also planning on upgrading my host OS to windows 10 and guess what I don't have to reinstall all that software; I will just restore from backup and boom I'm in business.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum