Siemens PLCs, Step 7, and Different Programming Styles?

Tharon

I was working with a person from Europe and they used Siemens PLCs. I had never used Siemens before, and he mentioned that Siemens had different types of programming you could use. Ladder, Block Diagram, and he called the last type "Binary" (Boolean?). I assumed by Binary, he meant something like an Assembly code.

He mentioned that Ladder could be turned into Binary, but Binary couldn't always be turned into Ladder, due to some commands not being avialable in ladder.

I was wondering what type of commands these would be?

Actually he refered to STL (Statement lists), you should check on www4.ad.siemens.de and search for more informations. You can find tons of infos there.
STL is something like PLC's assembler language. You can write program as ladder diagram and convert it to STL with just one mouse click, but the other way is not always possible because Ladder diagram produce NOP (no operation) lines when converted to STL, these are primary used for converting to graphical symbols I belive.
There are also other possiblities such as SCL which is very similar to Pascal programming language. You can easily write complex program's structures such as loops and branches.

Last edited:
These come quickly to mind: LAR, TAR, SET, CLR.

It will be worth your while to get very familiar with STL. A programmer can still write most of the code in Ladder, while using STL for most of the indirect and math functions.

Besides STL and LAD , there is also FBD ( function block diagram) where you put your logic together using and gates , or gates etc .This is my my favorite and again you can turn it into STL but STL to FBD is not always possible.

Greetings

Eric