Please help

Dave Clark

Hello everyone! Just a quick question. I am relatively new at PLC programming. I usually use RSLogix 500 but I just started learning Connected Components Workbench. I am trying to be able to change the value of any of my timers using HMI on the EZ Automation touch screen, and I dont know how to do it. Could somebody tell me how to write the numeric entry tag so I can change my timers? Also I need to learn how to control my proportional valves using the same controls.

Thanks SO much for any help.

Dave

I created a "Manual Mode" in my program and everything on my machine can be controled through the EZ Automation HMI. The only thing I cant figure out is how to change my timers.
Thanks for your feedback!

Not a CCW or EZ Automation software user so this just may be gibberish.
Is the PLC moving a value into the timer Preset?

How is the tag address for the Timer.PRE configured in the HMI software?

If I set the timer using my computer on the CCW software it works. I just need to be able to change it on the HMI so that I dont have to hook up a computer every time a circumstance dictates a change.

This is where my knowledge of this software or lack of knowledge is hurting me. I am in the learning process but I will certainly try and see if it can be done.

Thanks for your feedback!

Dave

HMI entry to a register then moving (or multiplying depending on engineering units) to the timer preset is generally preferred over writing directly to .PRE. While doing that, limit checks could be implemented. If it’s possible for an operator to enter a negative value, you might want logic if value is less than zero, move a zero to that register before moving to the preset. Negative times can fault many systems.

HMI entry to a register then moving (or multiplying depending on engineering units) to the timer preset is generally preferred over writing directly to .PRE. While doing that, limit checks could be implemented. If it’s possible for an operator to enter a negative value, you might want logic if value is less than zero, move a zero to that register before moving to the preset. Negative times can fault many systems.

Also, we don't know your process, but there may be an issue changing the .PRE value when the timer is running, so you may want to implement logic that only converts the time from the register and moves it to the .PRE value when .EN is 0.

I cant get it to change the value, I am sure I am doing it wrong.it's my TON_14 and the"PT" is set at 5 sec and thats what I cant change. I used a numeric entry button on my HMI, tag I tried TON_14 then address I put 1>TON_14
I just get a CIP error but I dont know how write it to change my value.

I KNOW THE rslojix a lot better but all in all I am very new at this especially CCW

Thanks all!

I cant get it to change the value, I am sure I am doing it wrong.it's my TON_14 and the"PT" is set at 5 sec and thats what I cant change. I used a numeric entry button on my HMI, tag I tried TON_14 then address I put 1>TON_14
I just get a CIP error but I dont know how write it to change my value.

I KNOW THE rslojix a lot better but all in all I am very new at this especially CCW

Thanks all!

I feel your pain. I started on RSLogix Micro, and now when I try to do something on Siemens/TIA or even RSL5k, the process is so different that almost none of the skills are transferable. My brother says Europeans that prefer Siemens think it's superior to reach around behind their head with their right foot to scratch their left ear, rather than using their left hand directly, and I am beginning to wonder. But that pales in comparison to the different environments we see within the A-B ecosystem - or ecosystems.

The only help I can offer is that the software was not written by controls engineers, it was written by programmers, so there is a way to do most things, if you can find it. Until you can work through the maze to get inside their head, you will have to be patient and throw away one assumption and presupposition after another as to how it "should" work if someone actually in the business wrote it.

I cant get it to change the value...

Can you get the PLC to MOV a source value/tag/variable/register into the destination TON_14.PRE value? And then can you change that source value with CCW and see it change TON_14.PRE?

I would start there i.e. completely within the PLC program, first.

Then figure out how to change the source value from the HMI, which I think you said you already know how to do.

Small moves, Ellie. Small moves.