PLC5/30 DO Slot swap

IdealDan

Hi Friends,

I'm to swap a few Digital Outputs (XV) from their slot to a different slot. The Processor is a PLC5/30 (Ethernet). I'm more familiar with RSLogix500 and RSLogix5000, I've not done much with RSLogix5. I will appreciate your ideas.

1. What configuration changes do I Carry out? (I Slot addressing is used).
2. How Do I tie the DOs to a different Slot/card? (Cards are 1771-OW16B )

Thanks in advance.

In the PLC-5, since you have 1 slot addressing, then every slot in the chassis will have one input word, and one output word per slot. Just move the cards and change the logic to the new slot.

If you take a look at your output image, you should already see the addresses for all the slots.

There is no configuration changes required. Only changes to your addresses. You can use a search and replace to change the addresses.

If your module was rack 00 group 3 then the address of that whole card would be O:003. Let's say you were moving to rack 00 group 5. You would use search O:003 and replace with O:005. Doing it this way you wouldn't have to modify each bit address individually.

You can also tell it to move, copy, or ignore the descriptions. You would probably want to Move them.

OG

Last edited:
I appreciate your responses.

I'm moving Four DOs from Slot 4 and Slot 5 to Slot 7, NOT all DOs in those Cards will be moved.
How do I get to see the Slot Details and Addresses of the particular DOs of interest (like in RSLogix500)?
I checked on I/O Configuration Menu, but couldn't find much information there, also on the Data Files >>O0 (Output).

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,
I'm better understanding now.
I've gone through Documentations, noticed for instance, Output on Slot 4 channel 11 is addressed as O:023/11. (Extension).
On the Offline Program, I've done a search (it appeared in four Rungs) and also did a Replace All.
In your opion, is the replacement with the new Address, all that is Required?
or is there any other change I need to do on the Program?

It will be helpful to me that I state the REASON behind what I’m about to do, as I believe you guys could share your experiences and ideas with me on this:

We are getting an intermittent ESD Alarm Fault. Usually, if any of the ESD Push buttons are pressed or any of the ESD inputs become active, EVERYTHING that is tied to the ESD output Shuts Down.

But this intermittent ESD Alarm fault affects only 5 DOs out of all the many DOs tied to ESD.
I was told that in the last 2 years now, this problem always occurs only during rainy season.
We have replaced DO Cards of the affected Slot 4 and Slot 5 yet problem persists. Someone suggested that I move these 5 DOs affected by the fault to another DO Slot.

PLEASE, FRIENDS WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS?

I'll be immensely grateful for your support.

Last edited:
The I/O configuration in the PLC-5 is for documentation purposes only, unlike the SLC 500. While it is helpful if someone does enter the information for this, it is not required. There is no option to "read" the chassis and populate this information. It must be manually entered, and it does not get downloaded to the controller and therefore also cannot be uploaded. It is purely documentation stored in the offline file.

The PLC-5 really has no idea which modules are in what slots. It just knows that addresses are assigned to each slot. So there are no configuration changes that are needed. Changing the logic is all that must be done. It sounds like you've got a handle on that.

In describing your scenario, are you saying that when the ESD occurs only these five outputs fail to shutdown? Or are these five outputs causing the intermittent ESD faults?

OG

Thanks Bro for your inputs.

Answering your question, No.
When this happens, these Five DOs shuts down where as the others that are part the shutdown system maintains their state.

Sometimes Processor reset solves it for a period of time/months then re-occurs.