RSview Test Application screen size too big

Nebul0us

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all.

I am about 6 months out of trade school and new to RSView ME. We design a HMI screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 for use on a 55" Touchscreen. I have noticed when using my laptop to "Test Application," the screen pops up way out of scale with my laptop screen. However, I am using a 1920x1080 resolution setting on my laptop also. Can anyone explain why it's not scaling right, and/or more importantly, how to get it to work right? Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
I think you are confusing screen size with screen resolution. If you sized the project to look right on a 55" screen it will certainly not scale correctly on a 15" laptop, even though the resolution is the same.

As for how to make it work right, you will have to wait for someone smarter than me to come along.

Will.

Last edited:
I think you are confusing screen size with screen resolution. If you sized the project to look right on a 55" screen it will certainly not scale correctly on a 15" laptop, even though the resolution is the same.

As for how to make it work right, you will have to wait for someone smarter than me to come along.

Will.

I guess I don't understand why it wouldn't scale correctly is the aspect ratio is the same...

The truth is, it should scale just fine, but FTView is a broken application that simply doesn't work properly most of the time. The development enviornment is also extremely poor at actually testing an application. Use an actual client-runtime to test one.

If FTView were given away free, nobody would use it. The only reason it is popular is because of the big name attached (Rockwell), and the perception that "If it is that expensive, it must be good".

The truth is, it should scale just fine, but FTView is a broken application that simply doesn't work properly most of the time. The development enviornment is also extremely poor at actually testing an application. Use an actual client-runtime to test one.

If FTView were given away free, nobody would use it. The only reason it is popular is because of the big name attached (Rockwell), and the perception that "If it is that expensive, it must be good".

Yeah it really amazes me with the lack of features in FTView and how 'clunky' it is. It's ridiculous...

In everyone's opinion, what would be the best way to go for HMI development to integrate with the ControlLogix platform?

Fact: the best HMI to integrate with the Logix platform is FTView; the next best is not even close.

It's the same answer for all the other major vendors: the best HMI to integrate with Modicon is Vijeo (Schneider), S7 with Simatic WinCC (Siemens), MELSEC with GT Works (Mits), NJ/NX with Sysmac Studio (Omron).
But that doesn't make any of those the best HMI.
Same as a Mac printer integrates best with a MacBook; doesn't mean either is the best printer or laptop.

Helps us give better advice: what do you want the HMI development to do really well?

On your original question, check project settings and make sure the resolution is set to 1920x1080. Also make sure your displays are set to 1920x1080 (display setting when editing them).

During development it's misleading, because the display for edit doesn't fill the whole screen. When you test run, it pops out and fills the screen.

Post a screen capture if you can.

55" touchscreen?! that's bigger than my TV.

Does it scale correctly with just your desktop? In a lot of big screen TV they have a zoom function.

Also, this is beside the point but everyone got a their fav HMI program. Vast majority of the time, it also happens to be HMI they know the BEST. Heck, I still think English is the worst language to express myself :)

On your original question, check project settings and make sure the resolution is set to 1920x1080. Also make sure your displays are set to 1920x1080 (display setting when editing them).

During development it's misleading, because the display for edit doesn't fill the whole screen. When you test run, it pops out and fills the screen.

Post a screen capture if you can.

Yeah, I'm aware of the difference between editing and testing. I'm referring to the testing. All displays are set to 1080. I'm pretty sure rdrast is correct; it should scale just fine but FTView is broken. I'll post some screenshots for you next week. It's a control layout for an apple packing line. The entire line is laid out on the 55" TS to give them complete central control. None of our competitors are offering this. It's pretty sweet....

Hi all.

I am about 6 months out of trade school and new to RSView ME. We design a HMI screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 for use on a 55" Touchscreen. I have noticed when using my laptop to "Test Application," the screen pops up way out of scale with my laptop screen. However, I am using a 1920x1080 resolution setting on my laptop also. Can anyone explain why it's not scaling right, and/or more importantly, how to get it to work right? Thanks in advance...

In Windows 10, there is an option to "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" under "Scale and layout". Mine was set to 125% and when setting that to 100%, that made the "Test Application" window size properly.

You should also be able to move the "Test Application" window to other screens (with a multiple monitor setup) with "windows button + shift + left/right arrow".

Old post, but thanks for the response. I just use Ignition now for HMI dev. The problem was with FactoryTalk....it's terrible software.