Ladder Logic question

DamianMI

I am trying to use a photoeye to stop a motor on a conveyor with a motor with no break. The problem I am having is that the conveyor continues to roll past the photoeye and then starts the motor back up on the conveyor. Is there a way to write the ladder logic so that the motor doesn't start up again?

how far does it coast past eye? If it were to work correctly and stop on eye what would start conveyor again?

Simplest way would be to add another PE in series or parallel depending on how its wired
(N.o_Or N.C.) This would need no change in logic. If you want to write logic make the
PE fire a latch and whatever is to start it back up fire the unlatch.

Is there a way to write the ladder logic so that the motor doesn't start up again?

Welcome to the Forum!!

Instead of using the photoeye bit directly in the stop logic of the motor, create a bit that would seal in when the photoeye is detected, and use THAT bit in the stop logic. That way, even if the photoeye no longer sees the object, the sealed-in bit will continue to stop the motor.

The question then for you is -- what breaks the seal-in?

Last edited:
on another note if the stop area that PE controls is not critical and the objects are
not to small you can angle the PE so it stays in contact with the object longer, if you use 2 PE's I would suggest angling the second.

Fit a brake.

Fit a 2nd photoeye, to act a slow command before it gets to the stopping photo-eye

Decrease Decel to suit.

How much range does your photocell have?? If you can set it to scan diagonally across the conveyor then one photocell might work.

OK, gotta chime in.
How about simply having the photo eye latch the bit that is stopping the drive and then put in a "Restart" bit (from a switch, or timer, or?) that unlatches the bit?

If you cannot stop the motor from coasting then use firejo's suggestion latch a bit on a oneshot (just in case it stops on photocell, then reset it when you want the conveyor to start again.

Let me see if I understood correctly....

You are trying to set a backup stop for a conveyor. If thats the case the PE will need to be set somewhere upstream where you want to trigger the stop. Regarding the over-travel situation since you dont have a brake you will need to set your decel to be as low as you can without tripping the drive for overvoltage since the inertia of the conveyor moving will regenerate feed to the drive. (In this case a brake resistor will be needed in the drive). Setting a timer(TON) timer will be needed in the logic to latch the bit for the trigger the stop and Unlatch when its clear. Otherwise every item that passes by will ramp down your drive. The drive should have parameter for how to react when a stop signal is trigger Should be set to coast this will allow your motor to ramp down for quick stop.