Should the firmware of a 1756-M16 SERCOS module be the same as the Processor ?

Good Morning ,

I have a 1756-L62 , 1756-L72 , etc. and I have a 1756-M16 SERCOS module . If my processor has firmware 16.0 , 20.0 ,etc. , should my SERCOS module have the same firmware as the Processor ? If so , why is that ? Also , how important is the Minor Revision number ?

Thanks so much .

we have two existing machines with 1756-M08SE module, i checked both machines showing PLC controller firmware version (ours is V28.011) matches 1756-M08SE firmware version (ours is V28.001).
the major firmware version has to match.

Last edited:
if your controllers firmware version are V16 and V20, you only have one choice to download 1756-M16SE firmware from AB site ,they are respectively V16.002 and V20.007.

32.PNG

Thanks for the chart and the time your investing on my question . To get thru a jam this week we had to use a 1756-L71. For some reason things did not " Jive " . They said version 20.019 is what was more stable . I still did not try that yet .

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community, Fernando !

To my surprise, firmware versions 11 through 18 for the 1756-M16SE module now show a red triangle and the note "retired", and are not available for download through the Product Compatibility and Download Center.

I don't know what that means and I did not find a note to explain it.

My guess is that modules that old are only being updated as part of a hardware remanufacturing process, rather than making firmware available in the field.

Are you able to contact Rockwell Automation de Mexico to ask them ?

I recently set up a few laptops with multiple versions of RS-Logix and Studio 5000. On one of these I just ran Control Flash (V 15.01.00) and checked the inventory. Among the versions available for the M08SE is 16.020.

I suspect this came with the RS-Logix 5000 version 16.05 install. So one option would be to install that version on another PC without it, and use that one to Flash the modules. Assuming you don't already have 16.05 on the PC you are using, you could try a minor version upgrade -- not something I have ever done, and feels risky.

One thing I will say is that the 16.05 package has a "modern" installer, and seems more tolerant of other versions already installed. If you already have 16.05 installed, check ControlFlash to see if you have the V16 firmware too.