Motors Question -- title edited by Phil

HJTRBO

Hey all,

I'm very embarrassed to ask this question but I truely dont know the answer.

The machine was imported from the states 2nd hand (in great condition mind) and has a number of like motors that currently are all configured for high voltage.

The one i'll pick on is a 9 wire 7.5kW (10hp) motor that is internally star (wye) connected. The name plate voltage is 230/460V. It is to be hooked up to a Eurotherm 690 VSD.

Our system in Australia is 240/415V. Where the secondary of the utility supply transformer is star (wye) orientated. 415V phase to phase and 230V phase to nuetral.

I'm guessing that I will re-work the motors in the low voltage configuration. This will have a like pair of windings in parallel per phase with 240V dropped across them.

Is this the correct way to wire this motor?

Second side question, the motors are all wired in high voltage, so does that mean that there was 460V dropped across the 2 series windings. Go by root3 thats a line voltage of almost 800V???
Sorry to have to ask, but you yanks got me second guessing myself!

If this board has any standards at all, this blatantly profane post should be removed immediately.

In the meantime, please do not respond.

The language in this post is completely disgusting and should be removed immediately. It is time that those of us who are insulted by this type of language speak out against it. Why should I have to be subjected the taking of God's name in vain.

As for me, if this post is not removed, I will be canceling my membership to this forum.

The motor accepts either a 3 phase 460V or 3 phase 230V power. In order to accommodate this requirement you will have to get yourself a 3 phase isolation step down transformer, 415V Pri to 230V Sec. Isolation transformer should have adjustable taps on the secondary, this feature actually will give you further advantage in that you will be able to adjust secondary taps for summer vs winter loading. Here in Chicago the summer plant-wide voltage drops can be substantial and this feature comes in handy. Motor dog house will have a wiring diagram for 230 V connection.

As far as profanity goes I don't find anything offensive here.

Jiri Toman said:
As far as profanity goes I don't find anything offensive here.

Its a fine line, what you may find non-offensive, I may find offensive. It is mainly a thing of respect to others that visit this forum. I would'nt go around throwing phrases that may get people offensive.

As for his question it was fine, mainly the Subject Title.

If this was a forum in the UK, Australia or NZ the title would cause little offense, it is a turn of phrase. But I can understand that it offends a few people here, so lets all just back off a little. HJTRBO please amend your title and the rest of you please calm down, I am sure HJTRBO did not mean to take your Gods name in vain. It is interesting though that you assumed he was referring to your God and not one from another religion. Probably a discussion for another day and another forum!

I was going to go on to mention the real profanities in the world like people left to starve, war, selfishness of the developed world, man's inhumanity to man, but I have had this argument before, and nobody wins.

Bryan

I agree that this board does have a good sense of "professionalism" which I do appreciate, I do not see any reason to jump all over the OP over the thread title, yes it was a little below the PLCS.net standard but it can be edited and I'm sure the OP won't let it happen again. Yay life moves on!

As for those who are "offended", in this day and age anyone can and WILL be offended by something YOU (yes you!) say despite any attempt of yours to be non-offensive, so get over it. If you're on the internet and you don't expect to be offended at some point.......

I did find it humorous to read threats responders gave:rolleyes:

Great, thanks someone is willing to answer.

I didn't even think I was anything close to been offensive, but i've never been to America so how can I judge what in our country is a very acceptable term (Well, by the majority of the population any how, probably none of which browse this forum) Sorry to all those I have offended. Lesson learnt!!! Trying to find the edit button...

So whats the deal with the voltage distribution over there? From the HV side you got a delta delta transformer with 460vac secondary, and again down the road another HV delta delta with a 230Vac secondary? Is that right? No delta star transformers on the pole?

You sure I need a transformer? I figured the motor winding insulation is rated to 460V so that takes care of the 415V line voltage across the supply terminals, yet with the internal star connection on the motor, and our system voltage that is derived from a star connected secondary utility transformer, then I have 230V available to allow me to hook up the motor in a low voltage fashion.

Really struggling to find the edit button?

Hmm just done a edit on this post, yet cant do the one at the top. Sorry guys looks like it has to stay....

Last edited:
9 lead Y

Use the 230v configuration.. 9 lead Y is...
connect 1&7 to L1, 2&8 to L2, 3&9 to L3
Hook 4, 5, 6, together. Our friends down south
may be a little unfamiliar with the "down under" language. I dont think this was ment to be offensive.
:)

Hopefully there is not a control panel for these motors already. By changing the voltage you'll increase the current required, so any wiring, starters, overloads, distribution blocks would all need to be resized.

Why can't the drive take care of the voltage difference? I would think you could just program in the nameplate data and be good. I'm not familiar with that drive but it looks very capable.

Freedom of speech, and freedom of religion. Something people are dying for in every little dusty crack in the world right now. some even represent the United States. Yet the first thing somebody who thinks one is absolute, is so quick to condemn other. :-/
Wouldn't it have been better to just not comment at all if you did not like what the header said?