Automation Trainer - What's next?

iknowsomeplc

I am just wondering what will be the next career path for an Automation Trainer who is into the hardcore training of PLCs/HMI and SCADA world for couple of years?

Any thoughts?

When I was in school, there was a saying that went something like this...

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

If you believe that, then become a do-er. Join the ranks of the practicing.

That depends to a large extent on the outcome of the ongoig congressional hearing concerning the bailout of automakers. US manufacturing constitutes some 14% of GDP, out of that more than half can be accounted for by the auto making, that includes big three and all the suppliers and dependents etc. However I think that longer term future may actually be brighter. I think that Obama's stimuluous packages will spur investment in alternate energy and other infrastructure projects. This could be somewhat of a boom for manufacturing. Short term though brace yourselves for an unemployment rising to 8.5 - 9.0% (Nouriel Roubini), maistream economists who couldn't predict jack in the past are talking about unemployment of about 7.5% at the peak. So far Roubini was right on every detail of what is now unfolding and so there is no reason not take his word for it. Unemployment benefits have now been raised to 39 weeks with maximum of about 340.00 per week. Home Depot, Wall Mart etc now have a waiting list of job applicants so perhaps it's time to read again the "Grapes of Wrath". It's not funny.
Another 20% drop in stock market is also not out of the question.

I have been teaching on and off fot the last 15 years. I have been in industry for almost 50.
The guys that teach advanced CNC, CAD or controls will tell you that if you teach for a year or two and go back you will find that the world changed.
What was exotic two years ago was expensive last year and today is commonplace. You have to be "out there" to keep up.
There is a hell of a lot to learn every day, day after day. That fact is often lost on academia.

Shadrach said:
variety is the spice of life

become a fisherman?

Fisherman !! That's interesting, but only BIG sharks and Killer Whales out there !!!! I need to learn it from ground zero..

I prefer to reuse my existing skills to grow further than starting from ground zero.