Hey

Keldog

Hey guys this is probably a stupid question for me to ask, but if your using Flex I/O do you need a Control Logix or SLC processor somewhere running the Flex I/O or can you programm the Flex I/O directly using Rslogix5000????

Thanks again

If you are using Flex I/o with contollogix use RSL5k to Program it
If you are using Flex I/o with SLC use RSL500 to Program it

There is a Flexlogix processor module that you program with Logix5000. There is also the communication adapter that has to have another processor somewhere to control it (distributed I/O). So depending on what equipment you have, the answer to you question is yes.

Steve

Another Quick Question if run the Flex I/O off of a Control Logix Processor with the Flex I/O input and output modules i don't need any input or output cards in the rack correct.

Can you hook a Flex I/O up to a Control Logix processor Via RIO???

What card would i need from the Control Logix and what module would i need to the Flex I/O

AB website was no help

Last edited:
No you do not need any input or output modules in the rack. You will need a communications module. The only communications that Flex IO supports is EtherNet, ControlNet, and DeviceNet.
In regards to the AB site, it is difficult to learn, but once you know your way around you can find most of your answers there.

FLEX I/O adapters and networks

You can run FLEX I/O on the A-B RIO network if you wish, but it's functionality and speed are better on ControlNet and on EtherNet/IP.

1756-DHRIO is the ControlLogix interface for RIO.
1756-CNB is the ControlLogix interface for ControlNet.
1756-ENBT is the ControlLogix interface for EtherNet/IP.

There's a good overview of the FLEX I/O product line in the FLEX I/O Product Selection Guide, publication 1794-SG002.

Thanks Ken. One more question is the only size of Extender Cable for Flex I/O 1ft and 3ft, cause i would like one about 10 ft or so.

The FLEX I/O bus is a pretty low-level signal, and 3 feet is as far as you can go with it.

If you need to have more modules 10 feet away, you'll need another network adapter.

What sort of network and installation constraints are you working with on this ?

I am putting a Control Logix Rack in a cabinet down stairs, and Running two Flex I/O up stairs both running seperate pieces of equipment, i wanted to hook the flex I/O's together so i would only have to use one channel of the RIO.

So to hook two Seperate Flex I/O modules do i have to buy another DHRIO card for the rack or can i run two off the same card using both Channels for RIO. Which will mean i can't run it DH on the network.

RIO is a daisy-chain network, and you can connect up to 32 adapters to a single DHRIO channel. Just wire from one adapter to the next, and put the terminating resistors on each end.

RIO is a lot simpler for discrete data than for analog; what kind of I/O are you planning on using ?

You only need one channel. You'll need two Flex RIO adapters, set to different addresses via the dipswitches. Be sure to read carefully the dipswitch setup instructions and make sure they apply to your exact revision. A/B has changed some of the switch functions over the past few years to enable RIUP and various newer modules and I/O densities.

Run the blue hose from the scanner to the first adapter, and daisy chain to the 2nd one. Use terminating resistors at the ends of the network...

A 1794-ASB manual from ab.com will give you all the details on this...

Paul