Multiple PanelView Plus' - One PLC

FordTruckMan

I have what I hope is a simple question.

Can I run two PanelView Plus touchscreens with identical applications talking to the same compactlogix PLC without issue?

My main concern is tags that are setpoints. That is, on the HMI it will be a numeric entry enable object, linked to a temperature setpoint tag in the PLC. If one screen has a setpoint of 200 entered, and i go to the other screen and enter 300, will it overwrite the 200 and update it in the first HMI? Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Numeric entry objects only change the PLC tag when the enter key is pressed so you shouldn't have any problem, have done this many times. The only thing I can think of is Maintained or Latch/Unlatch PBs may act weird so you may want to avoid those, or at least try them first - as a rule I don't use them.

Numeric entry objects only change the PLC tag when the enter key is pressed so you shouldn't have any problem, have done this many times. The only thing I can think of is Maintained or Latch/Unlatch PBs may act weird so you may want to avoid those, or at least try them first - as a rule I don't use them.

Thank you. This was my gut feeling, but I could not find anything in the user manual indicating so.

Yes, the maintained PBs crossed my mind, I assumed I would not be able to use those.

In a short answer Yes as long as the have a different IP address
the Panel view reads the tags in the plc and displays it on he screen
when you enter a value from the panel view it wright's it to the plc tag and the 2nd panel view will read the new data on it's next data update.
You can create a login for each panel view to set who can change setpoints

jstolaruk - You are correct, I should not have be so liberal with my wording.

The safety would come into play for (Writing of the addresses(tags)).

Sorry to have mislead anyone.

i am running 5 pvp+ on one system, just change the node number on all of them and you will be okay.

Last edited:
As jstolaruk mention, as long as the set points are handled in the PLC both HMI will not have a problem. The later will update the first or vise versa. I've done this on many PVP applications. Local HMI tags should not be used unless it's localized only!

I have what I hope is a simple question.

Can I run two PanelView Plus touchscreens with identical applications talking to the same compactlogix PLC without issue?

My main concern is tags that are setpoints. That is, on the HMI it will be a numeric entry enable object, linked to a temperature setpoint tag in the PLC. If one screen has a setpoint of 200 entered, and i go to the other screen and enter 300, will it overwrite the 200 and update it in the first HMI? Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Yes, you can run the same, identical application in many PanelView Plus touchscreens all talking to the same PLC.

Yes, if an you enter 200 in HMI #1 and then enter 300 in HMI #2 then both HMIs will show 300. Last tag write wins; overwrites the previous value in the PLC and both HMIs will read that change.

The maintained and latched push buttons can be made to work just fine in that setup. There are properties and tags for that; change based on indicator tag value and assigning an indicator tag.

As already mentioned, set it up and play around with it on a test system first.

One other thing to watch out for- if the PLC is reading the display # from the HMI and taking actions based on that, or forcing displays in the HMI, there could be some unintended behaviors. Ditto with alarms, if you're using any built-in factorytalk alarm functions.

Again, dont worry about it, it will work the same as the first one in the chain. If a numeric input is reading say 300 on the first one and you want to change it to 400 you can change it on the second one and they both with show 400. Both pvp+ communicate with each other..
Just make sure you change the node # on the 2nd one

I have the same setup in my machine, but the problem that a momentary PB ( stop PB) in one of them stopped the machine so I toggled it to run the machine without knowing which PV causing that issue

Any ideas how to investigate?!