OT Phone's in use while driving

Here in Oz you have 12 points on your licence - using your phone even when the traffic is stationary at traffic lights is illegal - 3 demerit points and large fine - and then there are the weekends with double demerit points! The cops even sit high on embankments with long range binoculars and get you if you do it.

It is illegal here, but takes a human to spot so the chances of being caught are low. Some days a coach drives around our highways filled with cops on a mission: from the higher seats it is easy to spot both regular drivers as well as truck drivers using their phone. My phone is tucked away while driving. No texting, no online shopping, no gaming, no hand free calls. All are too much distraction from driving safely.

What do you think of the guy in the news that baked cookies in the shape of his Iphone, when he gets pulled over he takes a bite out of it and asks is it illegal to eat a cookie?

I just joined the forum, been working in maintenance for years and just getting into PLC's after some courses. Very informative for new people like me, and some not really related stuff that is interesting. Glad A coworker told me about this site.

Here in Oz you have 12 points on your licence - using your phone even when the traffic is stationary at traffic lights is illegal - 3 demerit points and large fine - and then there are the weekends with double demerit points! The cops even sit high on embankments with long range binoculars and get you if you do it.

You crazy guys ...
I hear you eat vegemite sandwiches too
:)

If your too young for that one - google it

He he - grew up on Vegemite! No humans required here to pick up phones being used now - the red light/speed cameras do it - and get you if you are not registered as wel.

What do you think of the guy in the news that baked cookies in the shape of his Iphone, when he gets pulled over he takes a bite out of it and asks is it illegal to eat a cookie?

Reminds me of being pulled over at around 23:00 near a bar area and being asked if I had drank... to which I said yes. Breathaliser comes out, I blow in it and a fat 0.0 shows.

Police officer feels flustered, gets another one, blow again and 0.0... he's dumbfounded and asks again if I had drank that night. To which I reply "Yes... a couple of cokes and a bottle of water just before leaving the restaurant.". We then went on a discussion about how to address people and not expect the worse in them.

Edit:

I was young then and quite stupid too. Although I still heavily dislike the police in my home country because of institutionalised corruption, they were absolutely right in what they were doing stopping people to enforce drunk driving laws... except this particular officer was very rough around the edges and could have been a lot nicer on approach.

Last edited:
It's just a fine here in the land of fruits and nuts. I wish it was a point on your record, until then they wont stop and continue to kill people.