RSLogix 500 vs Windows 7

Aabeck

I have been searching the forum for a thread I thought I read before, but can't find it.

It had to do with RSLogix500 not running on Windows 7 because of a specific Windows Update # KB________.

Does anyone know what the thread was, or the KB number?

I just put RSLogix on a Win7 Pro X64 computer a customer supplied for a machine and everything but RSLogix ver 9.0 works. I do have this same version working on another Win7 X64 Pro computer that I seem to remember I had to uninstall an update.

I recall hiding a few windows updates several years ago, but they no longer show up in my list of hidden updates. Either MacroShaft superceded them or did away with them, or the fact that I upgraded RSLogix 500 to 10.0 a while back allowed me to let those updates occur.

The Spectre/Meltdown patches caused all kinds of havoc with most of their software:

KB1071234

Dmroeder,

Thanks but that number isn't listed on the Installed Updates list.

As for ver 10, I can only get up to ver 9.05 to download otherwise I would update it.

I don't recall that specific issue (RSLogix 500 v9x/Win 7 x64/KB update) or at least it doesn't ring any of my bells?

All I have found after a quick search are these technotes which are somewhat related...

509529 - RSLogix 500 Version 9.00 will not Start - No Error Message
Access Level: TechConnect

505279 - RSLogix 500 Software unable to launch on Windows 7
Access Level: TechConnect

Perhaps you've already been down that road already though? If not, then the above may be worth a shot until you do track down what you think to be the cause here.

Regards,
George

Geospark,

I did see those on Rockwell's site, but I can't budget their TechConnect contract.

I was sure I saw a thread here about 1 specific update causing this.

Otherwise, since this machine won't be online, I was thinking of uninstalling ALL windows updates until RSL starts.

Dmroeder,

Thanks but that number isn't listed on the Installed Updates list.

As for ver 10, I can only get up to ver 9.05 to download otherwise I would update it.

I should have been more specific, that was Rockwell's KB article on the subject.

Hi Dustin,

In the KB 1071234 technote there are 17 listed issues related to the Meltdown/Spectre Vulnerabilities. None of these seem to be directly related to RSLogix 500 v9 under Windows 7 x64 "not running". That's not to say that it couldn't cause such an issue, but just that it's not specifically mentioned as being a known issue as of the latest update to that technote.

Again, I have no recollection of a specific Windows Update that prevented RSLogix 500 v9 from running on a Windows 7 x64 system? I would be curious to know of it though?

Aabeck,

In Control Panel, try a repair of both FactoryTalk Services Platform and RSLogix 500 software.

If still not working then try deleting the *.rnl file under...

C:\ProgramData\Rockwell Automation\FactoryTalk Activation

...and reboot.

Failing all that, uninstall FactoryTalk Activation Manager and open RSLogix 500. If it does open, it should then be under the Grace Period. Reinstall the latest FactoryTalk Activation Manager.

G.

Geospark,

I did try repairing and uninstalling FTA. I also installed RSLinx v4 that has a newer FTA, still no running of RSL. Deleting the .rnl file then reboot still not run, and no popup about license or grace period.

I am now uninstalling the updates on the computer one by one and trying RSL. If it suddenly starts I will post the last update I uninstalled that worked.

I think I found the thread.

With a link to Microsoft's explanation.b And a new update to install.

Uninstalled everything KB4xxxxxx, except for the .NET updates. Install KB4103718. Then reinstall RSL500

Last edited:
OK, that's interesting. I hadn't come across that before (...stores to memory banks...). I can't find any references to either the offending update or the fix update on the Rockwell KBase though.

Hopefully you get sorted!

G.