Upgraded Machine to a CompactLogix , forgot that it communicated to a SLC 500 also.

Cydog

Good Morning ,

I upgraded a Machine to a CompactLogix ( from a SLC 500), but I never knew that the SLC that I replaced communicated with a SLC 500 at another location in the plant.

I think I understand Messaging a little bit . My immediate concern is , that I changed the IP Addresses for my machine upgrade to our new possible plantwide IP Address scheme . The IP Adresses are close........

Upgraded Machine 142.218.2.1
Machine that I didn't know communicated 142.218.138.27

Can I still do messaging with a IP Address difference like that ?

Thanks so much in advance,

There could be many ways to Rome.

1. Adjust the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 (if the networking structure allows).
2. Add a Router between the different parts of the plant. Not sure if AB Messaging can work with that, or how.
3. Connect both sides to each other with a NAT router. They will then see each other as being on 'their' side of the network.
4. Update the machine with the SLC to follow the plantwide address scheme.

disclaimer: I do not know much about AB messaging.

To change the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 will require buy in from IT and technically all devices on the network will need the change. I'd change the IP address of the new processor so that it matches the current subnet mask. Any reason you can't reuse the address of the SLC you removed?

What is the messaging? setting up the address will be the easy part but if your sending data from the SLC to the Compact... peer to peer from a SLC to a SLC or from a CLX to a CLX is not bad but if your sending more than bits from one to the other is a little harder and you will need to setup some sort of mapped messaging system

Really , it is only for a Panelview Plus 6 1000 HMI. Could I create another shortcut and just drill down to the result of the tag in my CompactLogix and not worry about going through the SLC 500 , with the different IP Addresses ?

Upgraded Machine 142.218.2.1
Machine that I didn't know communicated 142.218.138.27

Thanks ,

Check the subnet masks.

That will tell you if your controllers and PanelView are set up so that they can communicate with anything on a broad subnet, or if they are on separate subnets and require a router.

Those IP addresses you listed are sort of red flags that your enterprise network might be messed up in complicated ways.

Class B private subnets are supposed to be 172.16.0.0 through 172.31.0.0, with a subnet mask of 255.240.0.0.

A network that begins with "142"... that's an Internet address, not a private address. There's nothing technically wrong with using it on an enterprise LAN, but it's not normal.

Start by putting a computer on the same switch as the PanelView Plus, and see if you can PING or TRACERT the destination addresses.