Red Lion Why so many cables?

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
So a while back I tried out the G304K200 HMI from Red Lion
attachment.php

In order to get it running, I had to buy the Cable CBLUSB4K to program it, and setup the IP address.
It worked great!
I even bought quite a few more G304K200 units, and each time I used the same CBLUSB4K cable for commissioning.
Then I bought a Graphite G07C000,
attachment.php

and it was cool, so when I had to program it, I used the same CBLUSB4K cable in order to commission it.

This week I bought my first G307K200,
attachment.php

and tried to commission it using the same CBLUSB4K cable, but no luck.
Apparently I have to purchase a different cable for the G307K200.
I went ahead and ordered this cable today.

I wish I knew if there was an easier way.
The HMI has a couple of different USB ports. You’d think that one or more of those would be of some use.

G304K200.PNG G07C000.PNG G307K200.PNG

I love the Red Lion units but I wish they would come with Ethernet download enabled by default. It's annoying to have to set that up serially. It would also be nice to have some standard RS232 port pinouts. I know they buy the Kadet hardware from another vendor hence the lack of usable USB ports on those. I don't believe there are any plans to enable them either. USB would be my first choice for programming.

I made my own cables, but I agree generally that packing multiple ports into a standard db9 connector is just a little bit costly to the end user. I prefer the DB9 to the RJ style though, but watch out if you are sticking a Kadet in a tight spot right above, say, an existing selector switch. Someone here turned me on to a right angle DB9 adapter from L-com that saved my skin.

I betcha if demand exists, Mark at plccables will make some that are more universal. Perhaps one with flying leads or a kit for multiple different uses.

Last edited:
I betcha if demand exists, Mark at plccable will make some that are more universal. Perhaps one with flying leads or a kit for multiple different uses.

Hi Paul, take off the S its www.PLCCable.com :) (the S is Chris's old website)

George, we do sell a couple of them http://www.plccable.com/red-lion/

If you guys let me know what you need we will start making them... I thought about just making adapters, so one cable and a set of adapters for all the Red Lion HMI's similar to this series of cables http://www.plccable.com/system-integrators-plc-programming-kits/

I bought the cables to go to the PLC from Mark then made the Kadet end myself, granted I was making a wye cable so I could utilize the multi-serial ports.

The problem is on one 9 pin connector of the Kadet is depending on which port/ports you want to use there is (going off memory) seven possible wiring configurations, plus maybe 20 popular controller platforms that they would have to make these 7 cables to attach to. A company probably cannot make a profitable venture out of that.

I would (and did) buy the cable for the controller hack and slice it into the configuration you want and go from there.

The problem is on one 9 pin connector of the Kadet is depending on which

Yes the G304K2 uses pin 9 on the DB9... they are the first company to use that pin that I know of... I have to use a special cable to even make it

gbradley said:
Better get on it. ;-)

Just made it... it will be shipping out today

And a BIG thanks to everyone that has bought from me, hope you are happy with them :)

I'm glad I ran across this post. I'm fixing to buy a couple of G304K200 units for a new application I'm building and had no idea I would need a special cable to get them initially configured. Now I know.

Last edited:
I maybe mistaken but I thought Kadets started shipping with Ethernet download enabled? (619.004) firmware

I heard that too, but the G304K2 I got from you guys about 2 weeks ago did not have it enabled. Selling me old stock again? ;) :p

🍻

-Eric

Eric
You know TF keeps stock for you in the trunk of his
car! It's hard to rotate that stock
I will check this out on Monday and advise
Cheers!🍻🍻🍻

I maybe mistaken but I thought Kadets started shipping with Ethernet download enabled? (619.004) firmware

Great... looks like a "going out of business" sale is right around the corner

Would they not need to also change the Crimson software, I would think they would need to be able to program via the MAC ID like the Siemens does, just a thought