You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old June 24th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #1
msynco
United States

Distributed FT View SE app

I was wondering if someone could please help me with the following:

Currently I have 3 seperate computers, each running their own factory talk directory, data server and hmi server. I have just installed a dedicated computer that serves strictly as the Factory talk directory. I would like to combine the three hmi servers into one central application.

I would like to have the following configuration:

Computer 1 = FT directory, Application(??)

Computer 2 = HMI server 1 and HMI server 2, 2 data servers, and a client for HMI server #1

Computer 3 = Client for HMI server 2

Computer 4 = HMI server 3 and 1 data server, and a client for HMI server 3

Computer 5 = FT View SE studio

According to the best practices tech note, I can have no more than 2 HMI servers residing on the same computer, but I can have up to 10 HMI servers within the application(without redundancy)

I have what I just described set up, but have yet to make more than 1 HMI server communicate successfully.

Does this look like an acceptable scenario?

Would I be better with one data server common to all HMI servers? If so, would it be alright to have the data server reside on the factory talk directory?

I would appreciate any insight, help, advice or otherwise..

Thanks, Mike
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Kev77
United States

How did you bring the 3 servers into one application? Did you set them up as different areas? I combined 2 servers a few years bac and ran into a few problems. First, I set up the FT directory and servers on the same server. Then I added the servers in different areas and this caused all kinds of issues with the tag path. Because I added the server into am area it was like moving a file into a sub folder, the path back to the communication server was incorrect and I had to modify all the tags on one of the two servers. Make sure that you configure the new server to the new remote PC's path. Also check the diagnostic log for errors. What also helps is to set up a single screen with a discrete PHOTO and see if you can switch it.

If you can't connect servers or clients it might just be the step for setting the directory location on the PC's. Sorry for the grammer, I am trying to type on my phone
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum