GE Proficy String Manipulation

timryder

Hey Guys,

Having to do a job for a customer using a GE SCE330 Processor. Using the new GE Proficy 9.50 IDE and I'm having some difficulty with a task I have to do.
I need to be able to create a string constant of say 16 characters and concatenate it with a string which I will be receiving from our customers Conveyor Line PLC over ProfiNET.

First off I don't see any LD or STL string manipulation instructions anywhere. I see how I can make a string, but how do I access the data side of that string and also how do I concatenate it with another string which I don't see any tools for that. When I'm done concatenating it, i need to move the entire string into an interger array so I can transmit it to a Laser Marker to update the data which gets marked on a part.

So a few questions in there..

1.) Does the GE PLC have string manipulation instructions and I'm missing something
2.) How do you concatenate 2 strings together and where do you store them when they are.
3.) What instruction should I use to move the string into an Integer array?

Thanks guys...... HATE GE so far.

Question 1. No, but it does support subroutines written in C which could be used. If the project includes a GE HMI, that includes a limited set of string handling instructions. You could create a script in the HMI that reads from the PLC, performs any necessary string manipulation and writes the result back to the PLC.
Questions 2 and 3. Use addressed memory for your string variables. The starting address of the string coming over Profinet is one higher than the address of the last two characters of your string. Strings are stored as two ASCII characters per 16-bit address. If you need to do any manipulation of the string like swapping the high and low bytes, you can create an INT variable array that uses the same address range as your string.
HATE GE so far
You took the job, now you have to deal with the consequences. Just don't try to force the GE PLC to behave the same way as whatever brand you're accustomed to using. That will only increase your frustration level.

Strings are very easy to manipulate if you think of each character as a byte then group them into arrays. They are then easy to break up or concatenate as needed with the "ARRAY" handling function blocks, or custom function blocks.
Each manufacture has a nitch.
Don't try to force new softwae to work like your old tired worn-out software. Instead learn its tools and use them to your advantage.

I have an udt with multiple elements, mostly real and bool, but need to have a String as well. When i used the udt to create an array variable. I need to write data from another variable into a specific index of the array. When using a for loop with the index of the for loop in the variable, PME produces an error saying that a string array needs a constant index value, cannot use a variable index.

Any idea on how to go about doing this?