ControlLogix Redundancy Ethernet/IP IO Configuration

Popo Karimu

Hi,

Good day to all,

I got a situation regarding the redundancy configuration. Please refer to the image attached (Page 26, Enhanced Redundancy User Manual). Notice the 1756 ControlLogix I/O inside the green box! The chassis hasn't got a CPU but only has an Ethernet IP module for the entire chassis. Does anyone know how to add and configure this chassis to the I/O configuration tree of RSLogix5K (Logix Designer 5k)? On my configuration, I've also inserted 2 MVI56E-MNETC Modbus TCP/IP Module in addition to the standard I/O Modules. Is my configuration possible? I appreciate any help I could get!

Thank you very much!

Redundancy_IO.jpg Redundancy_IO2.png

Welcome to the Forum !

Yes, that configuration can work. The Prosoft MVI modules function basically like very large I/O modules.

The MVI56E-MNETC is going to load up the I/O network pretty heavily; that's exactly why they have the "R" versions with a reduced I/O footprint for use in remote chassis.

What sort of Modbus/TCP devices will you be communicating with, and how many ?

Thanks for response and welcoming me mr. Ken Roach! I highly appreciate!

We got 2 MVI156E-MNETC Modbus TCP masters, each has 100 slaves for a total of 200 slaves. The slaves that we have here are Honeywell Midas Gas Detectors and some 50 VFD's.

Could you also walk me through how to access the 1756 I/O chassis from the redundant controllers?

Thank you very much!

I appreciate that you're trying something challenging, but it's not appropriate for a novice user to attempt to build a redundant control system in an oil and gas application with an extensive and complex network.

You need a professional consultant to evaluate your system; that magnitude of a network is beyond what an Internet forum can help you evaluate.

Actually, this project is not for Oil & Gas. Well, kind of gas, really! It's for a solar panel manufacturing plant. I've attached the current system architecture that we got but based on some read through, the Ethernet topology required is Device-Level Ring which is not the case here. Please have a look. Thanks!

I appreciate that you're trying something challenging, but it's not appropriate for a novice user to attempt to build a redundant control system in an oil and gas application with an extensive and complex network.

You need a professional consultant to evaluate your system; that magnitude of a network is beyond what an Internet forum can help you evaluate.

LSS_Architecture.jpg

I would like to credit mr. kannanmkm 👨🏻‍🏫 for helping me out on this one! The solution is to simply add the Remote IO EIP module to your assigned Primary redundancy's EIP module on the I/O configuration tree (see the attached image). Thank you all for the help, I am very grateful! Now on to Modbus TCP/IP. Til' next time! (y)(y)

ENET3_under_ENET1.png

Last edited:
I understand that this thread is almost 3 years old, but I want to warn new readers that Logix Redundancy configuration in post #6 is illegal and should not be used.
Redudnancy I/O Ethernet/IP I/O must be connected using DLR as shown in attachment to post #1

Hi Contr_con,

I use DLR Setup, now my question is where to mount my Prosoft MVI56E-MNET? do I need to used 2 sets of MVI56E-MNET for both Primary and Secondary PLC.

I understand that this thread is almost 3 years old, but I want to warn new readers that Logix Redundancy configuration in post #6 is illegal and should not be used.
Redudnancy I/O Ethernet/IP I/O must be connected using DLR as shown in attachment to post #1

Illegal? or not recommended/supported? One suggests jail time, the other just a voided warranty/no tech support help.

You can't take words literally, "Technically Illegal" as it breaks multiple redundancy rules. Redundant controllers are not "Legos" that you can connect in any order. And in some places failed redundancy can literally be equal to real jail time.

Hi Contr_con,

I use DLR Setup, now my question is where to mount my Prosoft MVI56E-MNET? do I need to used 2 sets of MVI56E-MNET for both Primary and Secondary PLC.
Prosoft modules must be in Remote I/O chassis. You can't put them in primary/secondary chassis.
Redundancy manual has examples of bridged configurations.

Hi Contr_Conn, I have managed to close this issue, I have reconfigure setting (software) for MVI56E-MNET and it works fine after I mount it on the REMOTE I/O Rack. Sorry late post, long time never log-in on this blog, I also doing 2 more AB redundancy project for some O&G industry. More Power to this blog.