animation/image questions

arrin

Hello everyone. I am a graphic artist with a background in Mac and Adobe software, so I might just be about as far out of my element as I could possibly be. I have been commissioned to create new graphics for a client that are more closely suited to their clients needs. The software that they want to use these graphics in is FactoryTalk View SE 10 with Symbol Factory embedded within it. I have done some research and digging and have a few questions that I just cannot seem to come up with the answers for. Perhaps someone might have an answer or two or be able to point me in the right direction.
1. When I import Png files they import with a transparent background as they are supposed to but the box they are placed into cannot be transparent. They are placed into a box and I can chose which color to make that box but it has to be a color. I need that box to be transparent.
2. It would seem as though I can only import images into Symbol Factory if I have a full version of the software. Does anyone know if I can import my own SVG files (or other file extensions) into this embedded version. If so, how or where can I learn how?
3. Does anyone have experience bringing their own graphics/images into the full version of SF? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth the cost of the software to be able to import your own graphics/images?
4. I cannot figure out how to see what the file extensions are definitively for FactoryTalk images. Seems like they are gifs in FT and svg files in SF. Can anyone confirm that I have this information correct?
Because I am new to all of this I might not understand the jargon, feel free to dumb it down.

2. In FactoryTalk View Studio, with Symbol Factory open, you can import additional symbols under the File menu. This can import files or type .wmf, .bmp, .gif, and .jpg. There are also some items in Studio in the Library section

3.jpg

Wow! I did not expect to get so many questions answered. Thank you very much for your help chopin.

There are some very good points made in the video. As of now I am tasked to make animations look more like the real product being used. The goal is to avoid confusion in translation from screen to real life. I am glad to have watched the video and will keep the tips in mind as I go further into the project.

Its worth mentioning that the High performance HMI is all the rage now, but rarely is that the screen you see in the marketing materials. Those are always full color pseudo realistic representations of the process. And its what grabs the attention.

Where that grey screen has the best purpose is where there is little personnel change. Many of the screens I have done are used as training tools to assist in learning the process as well and more realism is better in that case. Just as you are doing.

Using a screen to learn the process and using a screen to control the process, are different requirement though, and would be designed accordingly.

Not if done well.

Another funny thing I find about the High Performance HMI crowd is the fervor with which they push it. Like every other option is just simply garbage and should not even be considered.

but seriously.... i've built both "high performance" and traditional P&ID type layout screens for the exact same process running in parallel on an HMI and let the operators use them both for awhile. Going back and asking them which they preferred, they all use P&ID layouts. Why? Because they are more relatable to the person actually operating the system. People in the "high performance" camp seem to forget that the average Joe that comes in to work everyday might not be interested in having to interpret a radial chart to assess system conditions. they need a graphic that flashes when the pump is in fault condition, they need pressure and temperature feedback in values that they know the normal operating ranges of.

that's not to say that some aspects of both shouldn't be used in the same operator interface. Graphs for example work well for operators. "hey this graph for my tank level is trending down much faster than normal" kind of stuff, but if you make it a science project regular guys are going to misinterpret system conditions.

I think it has a lot to do with the operators themselves. Whatever makes it easiest for them to do their job . I haven't met one yet who prefers the HP displays.

i say we all go back to teal, magenta, green on a black background (sarcasm)

:ROFLMAO: This is exactly what I am starting with.

This conversation is very interesting. Can't say I'm familiar with HMI (I'll have to look into it) but I can imagine what it consists of. Sounds like I'm having a similar experience as Sapper307. The request for me has been to take P&ID type layout screens and make them incredibly easy to understand. They want to have the graphics look just like make and model of the equipment.