Exter T100 - Siemens S7 300

FMM

Hi,

I am trying to connect a Siemens S7 300 to a HMI Exter T100 through MPI.

From what i´ve been told i do not need an adaptor for the RS232 port, just use the RS422/RS485 and beijer´s software tells me that also.

I have a Profibus Connector for the MPI and another one on the HMI side but unffortunatly the RS485 port on the HMI is 25 pins d-sub female and the Profibus connector is (standard) 9 pin d-sub male.

Does anyone now how i can do an "adaptor" to change the d9 to 25 pins?

Thanks.

Fred

I don't know pinout of Exeter, I'm posting pinout of Siemens PLC's again in this forum, now as a picture. Pinout is the same for all types of S7 RS485 networks (Profibus/MPI/PPI).
You should use pins 3 and 8 for data, 5 for shield/signal ground. If length of the line is small and speed is less or equal 187.5kbs, you don't have to terminate transmission lines with resistors.

Last edited:
Hi,

You can find a driver help file directly in Information Designer, this helpfile contains cable descriptions, addressing, trouble shooting etc. Just click on Help -> Controller Help.

//Supporter

Thank you guys.

I have looked on the HMI Software and it has the pinout for the RS485 Port. (see attached picture)

However i have made the connection between the PLC and the HMI via profibus cable with corresponding connectors.

As you can guess the connectors are 9 pins and the RS485 Port on the HMI is 25 pins.

I think that my problem might be here.

I do not know how to convert that 9 Pin Male Dsub into a 25 Pin Dsub.

Fred.

PinoutT100.jpg

Just connect:
- pin 3 of 9D-sub to pin 2 of 25D-Sub,
- pin 8 of 9D-sub to pin 15 of 25D-Sub,
- pin 1 of 9D-Sub to it's schield and cable schield and at the other and to pin 7 (or 8) of 25D-Sub.
As addition to previous post if cable length is small (up to few meters) you can use almost any shielded cable with 2 cores.
It look's like transmission line is internally terminated from HMI side. I'm adding a picture of termination from S7 side.

Last edited:
Thank you again.

I´ve tried what you advised.

So now i have the PLC connected trough a Profibus Cable (with Profibus connectors) and i´ve made an adaptor to connect the 9 Pins to 25 Pins as you´ve advised.

The HMI tells me that "No adaptor resp."

I think that in this case the problem is the driver that is made for a certain special "HMI adaptor" (what ever they say to sell something...)

I think that in this case i must contact the suplyer. The driver must be wrong. All the physical connections are correct.

Fred.

I dont know Exter, but that "No adaptor resp" message could point to that it expects a socalled "PC adapter" to be connected between the panel and the S7-300's MPI port.
A "PC adapter" is an RS232 to MPI adapter with some protocol conversion as well.

Your 1st post seem to indicate that a direct connection from the panel to the S7-300 MPI port should be possible.
Maybe there are several protocols available in the Exter panels setup, and you just have to select the one that goes directly from the panel to MPI via the RS485 pins in the 25-pin connector.

edit: I dont know why I wrote "Beijer" and not "Exter" to begin with. But never mind, I dont know Exter either.

Last edited:
Hi,

The EXTER terminals can communicate with a S7-300/S7-400 over MPI using either usíng a HMI adapter or via a direct connection (the terminals also supports communications over Profibus and Ethernet (ISO-protocol)). The error message that you get implies that you have selected the wrong driver (the HMI-adapter driver). If you click on Help -> Controller Help a helpfile will open with information about the driver, cables, addressing etc. You will need to change the driver to the correct one (MPI direct), also make sure that the port is set to RS485 (the default setting is RS422).

I'm not sure which version of Information Designer you are using but the MPI direct driver is supported in version 1.01 build 214 and later so if you are using an older version than 1.01 build 214 then the driver is not accessible. You will then need to contact the distributor in Portugal (Bresimar), they will be able to provide you with the newest version of the software (1.20).

Let us know if you need further assistance!

//Supporter

Last edited:
Thank you guys.

I´ve been a great deal of help. I have now been able to connect both things together.

I have contacted the supplyer and got a new version of the Information Designer (i had v.1.01 build 204) since the last one did not work.

And everything´s fine now. The new driver works great.

I am now convinced with this forum. I will be an active member and help as much as i can (altough i have small experience).

Cheers,

Fred