Barcode Scan to Micro 1100 channel 0

gfromportland

I could use some help. I switched to the IT side 10 years ago and haven't touched a PLC since. :( I have been assigned a project to put 30 machines on my network using PLC's which is not a problem. Where I am having trouble is, I need to barcode scan to the PLC, a 15 to 20 digit part number (numeric and text) and then retreive the information from a central server. I don't need to use the information at all at the PLC, but I am checking other information using Channel 1 such as in cycle and good part, bad part. I have set channel 0 up for ASCII, and I want to scan the data using RS232 to the mini-Din plug using a PM02 cable. Then I want to put that data into a memory location that is reachable via KEP-ware.

First question: Am I nuts?
Second question: Am I using the right tools?
Third: Will the concept work?

Been out a long time. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks for the reassurance. I have it set up on my bench right now, but not making much head way. Do you know if there is a way to look into the buffer to see if the scanned data ever got there? I reconfigured the scanner to remove the carrage return and the line feed, and when I test it on a PC the data is fine. I have been trying to duplicate code that I have seen on this web site for testing, but I am not sure the data is ever getting to the processor. I have been looking at add on device that is suppose to do this much easier, but the $$$$ add up quickly since I need to build up 30 of these. Thanks again for your input.

mracer, that is the add on device I am looking at. Thanks for the reply. Are you able to manipulate the data once you have it at the processor? I will need to eliminate the leading "P" and replace it with a 5 digit code. Thanks.

Sure you can.
You have to program it in the PLC if you are not going to do the truncating in your SQL/Database.
There are a few functions that you should become familiar with in the RSL lineup, for String handling, ie concatenate, etc.
Look for them with a sample application in the user manuals for RSlogix5,or 500 (Whatever platform you are using).
Not too difficult a task BTW.

Yes it will work. No you are not nuts. I have not done it with an 1100, but i know people who are. If you can scan into a pc with Hyperterminal, then you should be able to do the same with the plc. I konw of no way to look into the plc buffer but you can create a string file in the plc, (I believe ML 1100 supports this) and with some ladder logic ARL or ARD you can direct the data into the ST file. Go online when you scan and see if anything gets into that file. Dont worry about CR LF. You can strip that stuff out using AEX. Make sure the protocols match BAud,parity,stop,data bits etc. and make sure CH0 is set for user/ASCII driver.

I suspect the problem lies in the PMO2 cable. AB configures the CH 0 port as DTE same as the com port on a pc. Barcode scanners are usually configured as DCE. The PMO2 is designed for DTE to DTE communication. Try putting a null modem adapter(RadioShack) between the scanner and the pmo2.

Got it to work

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I was able to get it to work. The missing piece was the null modem on the PM02 cable. Once I got that it works like a charm. Thanks again.