micrologix 1400 and barcode scanner

irondesk40

Question - how could i connect a barcode scanner to a micrologix 1400 and display the barcode? Have done some barcode scanners on micrologix 1100 plc's and what i did was off of a cam angle, trigger a sick clv410 scanner to scan and detect if the scan was a good scan, or a bad scan, or mismatch.
If not a good scan, eject that package. Our standard is that if for some reason the machine sees 4 our of 16 packages that did not have the correct barcode it would stop the machine. Not sure how that standard was set, but it was by the quality group years ago.
I have a menu in the screen that the operator selects in order to trigger the barcode scanner to teach it that the next code it scans is the correct barcode. This setup works and is the way we have done some packaging machines for years, actually a engineer in our group did a prototype like that years ago and we have stayed with that process.
I would like to be able to display the barcode in the corner of the operator screen every scan as reference.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks